Liverpool’s Uruguay striker Darwin Nunez joins Al-Hilal

Darwin Nuñez of Uruguay. (X: @Alhilal_EN)
Short Url
Updated 10 August 2025
Follow

Liverpool’s Uruguay striker Darwin Nunez joins Al-Hilal

Liverpool’s Uruguay forward Darwin Nunez has joined Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal from the Premier League champions on a three-year deal, both clubs said on Saturday.
Financial details of the transfer were not disclosed but British media reported that the Saudi club paid 53 million euros ($61.69 million) plus add-ons that could take the final price tag up to 56.6 million pounds for the 26-year-old.
“Al-Hilal Club Company is pleased to announce the signing of Uruguayan striker Darwin Nunez from Liverpool FC on a three-year contract,” Al-Hilal said on their website.
“Nunez has just joined the squad during the current pre-season training camp in Germany,” Al-Hilal added.

Nunez joined Liverpool in June 2022 from Benfica for an initial fee of 75 million euros but struggled for consistency, with 40 goals and 26 assists in 143 games in all competitions.
The striker found himself on the fringes of the first team during Liverpool’s title-winning campaign last season, starting only eight league matches and netting five times.
His departure will help finance Liverpool’s outlay of almost 300 million pounds so far for the 2025-26 season.
They have already signed Germany playmaker Florian Wirtz for a club-record fee of up to 116 million pounds and French forward Hugo Ekitike for 69 million plus add-ons.
Al-Hilal, under former Inter Milan manager Simone Inzaghi, became the first Asian club to defeat a Premier League side in an official match when they beat Manchester City at the Club World Cup last month.
Inzaghi’s new side are aiming to secure a record-extending 20th league title this season, having finished second in the Saudi Pro League last term. Their other high-profile signing of the transfer window was Theo Hernandez from AC Milan.
 


Ronaldo leads Al-Nassr to Saudi Pro League victory on return to starting XI

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

Ronaldo leads Al-Nassr to Saudi Pro League victory on return to starting XI

  • After missing three consecutive games, the Portuguese talisman needed just 18 minutes to open his account on Saturday
  • Al-Nassr keep the pressure on Al-Hilal, a point behind the league leaders after Matchday 22

RIYADH: With Al-Nassr firmly in the Saudi Pro League title race and waiting for any slip-up from Al-Hilal, Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to the starting XI was a timely boost after a period dominated by off-field distractions involving the player, the club and the Public Investment Fund.

The visitors overcame a stern test at the Meydan Tamweel Al-Oula Stadium, where they suffered a frustrating 3-2 defeat last season, to secure all three points.

Ronaldo had an early sight of goal just 34 seconds into the match, meeting Kingsley Coman’s cross at the far post but sending his volley wide.

Despite failing to win in their previous six outings, Al-Fateh posed an early threat, with Mourad Batna beating two defenders before firing narrowly wide in the seventh minute.

Chances followed at both ends. Coman squandered a golden opportunity after latching onto Sadio Mane’s cross, before Mane himself struck the side netting from a tight angle in the 15th minute.

Ronaldo eventually broke the deadlock three minutes later. Mane beat Saad Baattia in a one-on-one duel before delivering a low cross into the area, where the Portuguese forward finished confidently for his 18th-minute opener, the 962nd goal of his professional career.

The 39-year-old came close to adding a second in the 30th minute, but Joao Felix’s cross flashed across goal just beyond his reach.

Al-Fateh responded with sustained pressure from set pieces, but goalkeeper Bento produced a series of saves, including a sharp stop from Batna’s free kick before reacting quickly after Matias Vargas struck the crossbar.

Despite trailing at the break, Al-Fateh continued to press in the second half and had strong penalty appeals waved away when Batna was brought down in the box.

A lengthy VAR check followed in the 52nd minute after Mohamed Simakan bundled the ball into the net, but the goal was ruled out after a six-minute review.

Al-Nassr eventually sealed the result in the 77th minute when Coman’s cross was met by Ayman Yahya, who blasted past Fernando Pacheco to secure the points.

The win lifts Al-Nassr to 52 points, just one behind Al-Hilal, who beat Al-Ettifaq on Friday. Al-Fateh drop to 10th on 24 points.

Elsewhere, Al-Riyadh slid two points closer to the relegation zone after a 1-1 draw with Al-Khaleej, with Kostas Fortounis cancelling out Leandro Antunes’ opener late on. Al-Najma also made history by claiming their first Saudi Pro League victory, ending a 20-match winless run with a 2-1 success over Al-Kholood.

The Saudi Pro League resumes on Thursday, with Al-Ahli hosting Al-Najma, while in the weekend’s headline fixture Al-Hilal face Al-Ittihad in Riyadh following Karim Benzema’s controversial deadline-day move.