Jordan condemns Israeli plan to expand control over Gaza as humanitarian aid efforts continue

The Jordanian Armed Forces on Friday carried out another airdrop of food and aid to Gaza, in coordination with international partners. (JNA)
Short Url
Updated 08 August 2025
Follow

Jordan condemns Israeli plan to expand control over Gaza as humanitarian aid efforts continue

  • The kingdom’s Ministry of Foreign and Expatriate Affairs said the move, backed by the Israeli security cabinet, would “solidify the occupation”

AMMAN: Jordan on Friday condemned Israel’s newly approved plan to expand military control over Gaza, warning it threatens prospects for peace and deepens the humanitarian crisis in the besieged enclave.

The kingdom’s Ministry of Foreign and Expatriate Affairs said the move, backed by the Israeli security cabinet, would “solidify the occupation” and undermine the two-state solution, Jordan News Agency reported.

Ministry spokesperson Sufian Al-Qudah said the plan violated international law and continued the Israeli government’s use of starvation and siege as weapons against civilians.

He warned that full military rule over Gaza would derail ongoing international efforts to broker a truce and deliver humanitarian relief.

Al-Qudah urged Israel to halt its aggression and allow the urgent entry of aid, reaffirming Jordan’s support for Qatari-Egyptian-American mediation to secure a ceasefire and prisoner exchange.

King Abdullah II also denounced the plan in a phone call with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday, reiterating Jordan’s solidarity with the Palestinian people and commitment to a two-state solution based on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state.

The leaders discussed recent escalations in the West Bank and attacks on Muslim and Christian holy sites in Jerusalem. Abbas praised Jordan’s ongoing humanitarian and diplomatic efforts.

Meanwhile, the Jordanian Armed Forces on Friday carried out another airdrop of food and aid to Gaza, in coordination with international partners.

Seven planes — two Jordanian and five from Germany, the UAE, Belgium, the Netherlands, and France — delivered 67 tonnes of supplies.

Since late July, Jordan and its allies have conducted a total of 454 airdrops, delivering over 500 tonnes of humanitarian aid to the Strip.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.