Pakistan parliament passes resolution in support of Gaza, condemns Israeli military actions

People inspect the damage at the Sheikh Radwan Al-Taba UNRWA clinic following an Israeli army bombardment in Gaza City on August 6, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 06 August 2025
Follow

Pakistan parliament passes resolution in support of Gaza, condemns Israeli military actions

  • Resolution moved by lawmaker Shazia Marri condemns Israel’s reported plans to take full control of Gaza
  • Pakistani lawmakers urge government to highlight plight of Palestinians at UN, OIC and other global platforms

ISLAMABAD: The lower house of Pakistan’s parliament on Wednesday passed a resolution reaffirming support for the people of Palestine, condemning the Israeli military’s actions and Tel Aviv’s reported plans to take complete control of Gaza, state-run media reported.

Israel has killed over 61,000 Palestinians in Gaza since Oct. 7, 2023, in several military operations, drawing condemnations and outrage from nations across the world, including Pakistan.

Mediation between Israel and Palestine’s Hamas has collapsed despite intense international pressure for a ceasefire to ease hunger and appalling conditions in the besieged Palestinian territory.

“The House passed a resolution reaffirming Pakistan’s historic and unwavering support for Palestinian people and their struggle for freedom, dignity and justice,” state broadcaster Radio Pakistan reported.

The state media said the resolution was presented in the National Assembly by lawmaker Shazia Marri, who expressed concerns over the “continuing and escalating Israeli military aggression in Gaza,” which she said has resulted in the killing of civilians and widespread destruction of homes.




Pakistani lawmaker Shazia Marri tables a resolution condemning Israel’s reported plans to take full control of Gaza, at the National Assembly of Pakistan in Islamabad on August 5, 2025. (Handout/National Assembly)

Israeli media reported earlier this week that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu favors a complete military takeover of Gaza for the first time in two decades.

The move would reverse a 2005 decision to pull Israeli settlers and military out of Gaza while retaining control over its borders.

“The resolution strongly condemned the recent statements and actions by Israeli authorities indicating plans for long-term occupation of Gaza, forced displacement of its population and efforts to erase the Palestinian identity of the territory,” the state broadcaster said.

It also condemned the use of starvation, siege and collective punishment as “tools of war,” emphasizing that these acts are war crimes under international law, the state media reported.

The lower house of the parliament urged the United Nations and the international community to fulfill their moral and legal responsibilities by taking immediate and concrete steps to end Israeli military actions in Gaza.

“The resolution urged the government to continue to raise its voice for the Palestinian people at all international forums, including the United Nations and the OIC [Organization of Islamic Cooperation],” Radio Pakistan said.

Pakistan, which does not have diplomatic ties with Israel, has consistently condemned Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land and its war on Gaza, and has called for the uninterrupted flow of humanitarian aid into Palestinian territory.


Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

  • The Hundred is an English 100-ball-per-side franchise cricket competition with eight teams
  • BBC says Indian-owned teams may avoid selecting Pakistani players at next month’s auction

LONDON: Michael Vaughan has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on reports that Pakistani players will be overlooked by Indian-owned teams in the domestic Hundred competition.

Longstanding political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events, although their recent Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League, world cricket’s most lucrative T20 franchise competition.

And with several IPL owners now owning teams in several different countries, opportunities for Pakistani cricketers to participate in various leagues are in danger of being reduced further.

The BBC has now reported that the issue could be a factor during next month’s player auction for English cricket’s Hundred, a 100 balls-per-side competition featuring eight franchises rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.

Players will go under the hammer in London on March 11-12, with the BBC reporting that the four Indian-affiliated Hundred teams — Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds will deliberately avoid selecting players from Pakistan.

More than 50 Pakistani cricketers have registered their availability, with four other teams involved in the bidding.

The ECB have been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan has called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan, referencing the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country, posted on Friday on X: “The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen.”

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.

“Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.