Pakistan beat West Indies 2-1 to win T20I series as injury rules out Fakhar Zaman for ODIs

The Pakistan team poses with the trophy after winning the Twenty20 cricket series against the West Indies in Lauderhill, Florida, on Aug. 3, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 04 August 2025
Follow

Pakistan beat West Indies 2-1 to win T20I series as injury rules out Fakhar Zaman for ODIs

  • Zaman to return to Pakistan on August 4 evening, continue rehabilitation under PCB medical team’s supervision 
  • Left-handed batter picked up injury during the 19th over of the second T20I against West Indies while chasing ball

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan beat the West Indies 2-1 to register yet another T20I series victory over the hosts, with the Green Shirts suffering a setback as injury ruled out left-handed batter Fakhar Zaman from the upcoming ODI series. 

Pakistan put on an impressive 189/4 at the end of 20 overs after batting first in the third T20I, with opening batter Sahibzada Farhan scoring an impressive 74 runs from 53 balls while Saim Ayub made 66 from 49 balls. Hassan Nawaz scored 15 runs from seven balls. 

In response, West Indies were able to score 176/6 at the end of 20 overs, falling 13 runs short of the target. Alick Athanaze scored 60 off 40 balls while Sherfane Rutherford made 51 from 35 balls to give the West Indies a chance. Sufyan Moqim returned figures of 1/20, Mohammad Nawaz 1/33 while pacer Haris Rauf finished with 1/34 from his four overs. 

“Series sealed with a 13-run victory in the final T20I!” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) wrote on social media platform X. “Pakistan achieve their seventh consecutive T20I series win over the West Indies.”

There was some setback for Pakistan after Zaman was ruled out of the West Indies third T20I and upcoming ODI series when he suffered a hamstring injury, the PCB said. 

According to the PCB, Zaman picked up the injury during the 19th over of the second T20I against the West Indies while chasing the ball in the outfield. The board said upon medical assessment, it was determined to be a mild strain. It said the aggressive batter had been provided immediate treatment by the team’s medical staff.

“Fakhar will return to Pakistan on the evening of August 4 and will continue his rehabilitation under the supervision of the PCB medical team at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Lahore,” the PCB said. 

Zaman has not fare impressively in the West Indies series, managing scores of 28 and 20 during the first two T20Is. The batter got off to good starts but managed to convert his innings into half-centuries or decisive knocks. 

The batter is a crucial white-ball cricketer for Pakistan, who has gotten them off to dangerous starts in ODIs and T20 formats. Zaman was ruled out of this year’s Champions Trophy tournament after he suffered an oblique injury while in pursuit of a cover drive as Pakistan played against New Zealand in their opening match of the tournament. 

Pakistan and the West Indies kicked off their T20I series last week. After winning the opening match against the hosts, the Green Shirts lost the second match at the last ball before winning the last encounter to take the series home 2-1.

Both teams will play a three-match ODI series starting from August 8 and ending on August 12. All three matches will take place in Trinidad. 


Top seeds head into last 16 on a windy afternoon at the Dubai Tennis Championships

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Top seeds head into last 16 on a windy afternoon at the Dubai Tennis Championships

  • Coco Gauff (No. 3 seed), Jessica Pegula (No. 4), Mirra Andreeva (No. 5) and Belinda Bencic (No. 9) all progress
  • Last year’s beaten finalist, Clara Tauson (No. 12), and rising US star Iva Jovic (No. 16) also still in the hunt, as is ‘lucky loser’ Antonia Ruzic

DUBAI: A raft of seeds booked passage into the Round of 16 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships as the action heated up amid glorious, if breezy, winter conditions on Tuesday.

Nine matches were completed during daylight hours on day three of the WTA 1000 event at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium. Coco Gauff, the World No. 4, and No. 3 seed this week, defeated Anna Kalinskaya 6-4, 6-4 in little more than 90 minutes.

As blustery winds swirled across Center Court, the conditions were challenging for both players and the momentum of the game resembled a pendulum. Ultimately, however, the American prevailed against the Russian, who had defeated her en route to the 2024 final at the event.

“It wasn’t the prettiest win but it was enough for today,” said Gauff.

Regarding the weather conditions that caused havoc for both players, she added: “It was pretty windy; it felt very open on the (Royal Box) side, so I was trying to adjust a lot and was struggling with consistency. Every time I’ve been here it’s not been windy, so today was different.”

Gauff will face Elise Mertens in the last 16 on Wednesday, after the Belgian dispatched 14th seed Emma Navarro of the US 6-2, 6-2 in just 75 minutes on Court 1.

Asked how she will prepare, Gauff said: “I feel fine; it wasn’t that long of a match. (My focus) will be more trying to work on things I need for tomorrow’s match.”

Also on Center Court, No. 4 seed Jessica Pegula made quick work of French qualifier Varvara Gracheva, requiring just 70 minutes to triumph 6-4, 6-0. The world No. 5’s victory set up an all-American clash with talented young compatriot Iva Jovic, who saw off Russia’s Diana Shnaider 6-4, 1-6, 6-0.

Last year’s defeated Dubai finalist, Clara Tauson of Denmark, continued her fine run of form with a trouble-free 6-2, 6-4 victory on Court 2 over Peyton Stearns of the US. The reward for Tauson, who eliminated 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin in the first round, is an eagerly anticipated showdown with Polish seed-extinguisher Magda Linette, who ousted World No. 12 Ekaterina Alexandrova, this week’s No. 8 seed, in a 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 roller coaster.

The 2019 Dubai champion, Belinda Bencic of Switzerland, progressed to the last 16 in a walkover after the injury-enforced withdrawal of Czech wildcard Sara Bejlek. Russian No. 5 seed Mirra Andreeva also received a walkover win when Russian-Australian Daria Kasatkina withdrew before play began.

Andreeva, the reigning champion, will face Jaqueline Cristian in the last 16 on Wednesday after the Romanian progressed past German qualifier Ella Seide, who retired after losing the first set 6-0.

Finally, Antonia Ruzic — the “lucky loser” who was defeated in the first qualifying round but made it to the main tournament as an alternate following withdrawals, and then sent British star Emma Raducanu packing on Monday evening — maintained her solid form to progress.

The Croatian saw off Anastasia Zakharova 6-1, 6-7, 6-1 in her second three-set epic in less than 24 hours. Depending on the evening’s remaining results, Ruzic could now face top seed Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan in the last 16. She was due to plays Australian qualifier Kimberly Birrell on Center Court at 7pm UAE time on Tuesday.

The 26th annual WTA event, which continues until Feb. 21, featured 16 of the top 20-ranked female players in the world, and 33 from the top 40.