Ukraine hits military targets and pipeline in Russia

Ukraine said Saturday it hit military targets and a gas pipeline in drone attacks in Russia, where local authorities said three people were killed and two others wounded. (X/@rshereme)
Short Url
Updated 02 August 2025
Follow

Ukraine hits military targets and pipeline in Russia

  • Ukraine’s SBU security service said the strikes, carried out Friday night by long-distance drones, hit a military airfield in the southwestern town of Primorsko-Akhtarsk
  • They caused a fire in an areas where Iranian-built Shahed drones were stored

KYIV: Ukraine said Saturday it hit military targets and a gas pipeline in drone attacks in Russia, where local authorities said three people were killed and two others wounded.

Ukraine’s SBU security service said the strikes, carried out Friday night by long-distance drones, hit a military airfield in the southwestern town of Primorsko-Akhtarsk.

They caused a fire in an areas where Iranian-built Shahed drones — relied on by Russia to attack Ukraine — were stored, the SBU said.

It said the strikes also hit a company, Elektropribor, in Russia’s southern Penza region, which it said “works for the Russian military-industrial complex,” making military digital networks, aviation devices, armored vehicles and ships.

The governor for the Penza region, Oleg Melnichenko, said on Telegram that one woman had been killed and two other people were wounded in that attack.

Russia’s defense ministry said its air-defense systems had destroyed 112 Ukrainian drones over Russian territory — 34 over the Rostov region — in a nearly nine-hour period, from Friday night to Saturday morning.

An elderly man was killed inside a house that caught fire due to falling drone debris in the Samara region, governor Vyacheslav Fedorishchev posted on Telegram.

In the Rostov region, a guard at an industrial facility was killed after a drone attack and a fire in one of the site’s buildings, acting Rostov governor Yuri Sliusar said.

“The military repelled a massive air attack during the night,” destroying drones over seven districts, Sliusar posted on Telegram.

Ukraine has regularly used drones to hit targets inside Russia as it fights back against Moscow’s full-scale invasion, launched in February 2022.

Russia, too, has increasingly deployed the unmanned aerial devices as part of its offensive.

An AFP analysis published on Friday showed that Russia’s forces in July launched an unprecedented number of drones, 6,297 of them.

The figure included decoy drones sent into Ukraine’s skies in efforts to saturate the country’s air-defense systems.

In Ukraine’s central-eastern Dnipropetrovsk region, Russian drone attacks Friday night wounded three people, governor Sergiy Lysak wrote on Telegram.

Several buildings, homes and cars were damaged, he said.

Russian forces have claimed advances in Dnipropetrovsk, recently announcing the capture of two villages there, part of Moscow’s accelerated capture of territory in July, according to AFP’s analysis of data from the US-based Institute for the Study of War (ISW).

Kyiv denies any Russian presence in the Dnipropetrovsk area.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has consistently rejected calls for a ceasefire in the more than three-year conflict, said Friday that he wanted peace but that his demands for ending Moscow’s military offensive were “unchanged.”

Those demands include that Ukraine abandon territory and end ambitions to join NATO.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, meanwhile, said only Putin could end the war and renewed his call for a meeting between the two leaders.

“The United States has proposed this. Ukraine has supported it. What is needed is Russia’s readiness,” he wrote on X.


India forced to defend US trade deal as doubts mount

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

India forced to defend US trade deal as doubts mount

  • The deal announced this month has rattled India’s powerful farmers’ unions, who argue that cheap US imports would throttle local producers in a country where agriculture employs more than 700 million
MUMBAI: India is scrambling to defend a new trade deal with the United States that critics have branded as a surrender to Washington, as countries navigate the fallout from President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs.
The deal announced this month has rattled India’s powerful farmers’ unions, who argue that cheap US imports would throttle local producers in a country where agriculture employs more than 700 million people.
Details of the deal remain sparse, limited to a joint statement and a White House factsheet, but New Delhi says an interim pact should be finalized by the end of March.
Analysts warn that other elements of the agreement could also prove volatile.
“In the Trumpian era, there is nothing called certainty,” trade expert Abhijit Das told AFP.
Even if the deal is signed in a few weeks, it would only hold until Trump “decides to impose more tariffs for any perceived inconsistency,” he said.
The most contentious pledge is India’s stated intention to buy $500 billion worth of US goods over five years. India’s annual imports from the US last fiscal year were around $45 billion.
Doubling annual purchases to $100 billion “is unrealistic,” said Ajay Srivastava of the Global Trade Research Initiative, a New Delhi-based think tank.
- Intention not commitment -
Aircraft purchases were a major component of this commitment but even a major expansion of Boeing aircraft orders — decisions made by private airlines — would fall far short, he said.
“Even if India were to add another 200 Boeing aircraft over the next five years, at an estimated cost of $300 million per aircraft, the total value would be about $60 billion.”
Some economists argue the language around purchases is non?binding, hence it protects New Delhi if it fails to meet the goal.
“Framing the target as an intention, rather than a commitment, reduces the risk of the deal later breaking down,” Shivaan Tandon of Capital Economics said in a note on Friday.
Trump’s unpredictability also continues to loom large.
He recently threatened higher tariffs on South Korea over perceived delays by Seoul in implementing a trade agreement announced last July.
Another flashpoint is Washington’s rollback of a 25 percent duty after what it described as India’s “commitment” to stop buying Russian oil.
This promise finds no mention in the joint statement and has neither been confirmed nor denied by the Indian government.
India says its energy policy is driven by national interests and that the country depends on multiple sources for crude oil imports.
- ‘Oil plank’ -
New Delhi’s Russian oil imports have dropped from a mid?2025 peak of more than two million barrels a day to about 1.1 million in January.
Local reports say state-owned refiners have already started purchasing Venezuelan oil for delivery in April.
But it remains unclear if Russian purchases will fall to zero.
The outlook hinges heavily on Mumbai-headquartered Nayara Energy, partly owned by Russia’s Rosneft, which Bloomberg reported plans to keep buying around 400,000 barrels a day.
This will likely remain a bone of contention, given the Trump administration’s stance that it intends to monitor India’s imports.
“New Delhi continues to avoid publicly confirming a full halt and frames energy sourcing as driven by price and availability, which underlines ongoing ambiguity over the oil plank,” Darren Tay of BMI, a unit of Fitch Solutions, told AFP.
“There is tentative evidence that Indian refiners are reducing spot purchases of Russian crude, implying partial adjustment rather than a formal pledge,” Tay said.
The deal remains “too fragile and politically contested” to justify a growth forecast change for India, he added.