US, Australia hold joint military exercise in Papua New Guinea for first time

A US soldier uses night vision goggles after conducting a night parachute jump as part of the joint US/Australian Exercise Talisman Sabre at Shoalwater Bay on June 18 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 August 2025
Follow

US, Australia hold joint military exercise in Papua New Guinea for first time

  • Talisman Sabre exercises in Australia last month involved 40,000 troops from 19 countries
  • The US military gained access to Lae’s major seaport under a 2023 defense deal with Papua New Guinea

SYDNEY: The joint US and Australian military exercise Talisman Sabre extended across 500 kilometers of remote northern coast in Papua New Guinea this week, Australian officials said, the first time the war games have been taken to another country.

Talisman Sabre exercises in Australia last month involved 40,000 troops from 19 countries.

For the Papua New Guinea component, US, Australian and PNG forces are conducting disaster recovery and survival exercises through seven regions of PNG, moving through terrain from Wewak to Lae that saw fierce fighting between Japan and the US in World War Two.

The PNG activities test “combined capabilities across sea, land, air, cyber, and space operations,” a US Embassy spokesperson said in a statement.

The Talisman Sabre closing ceremony will be held on Monday in the PNG city of Lae.

The US military gained access to Lae’s major seaport under a 2023 defense deal with PNG, signed after China struck a security pact with neighboring Solomon Islands.

The PNG defense agreement will “enhance security and prosperity for both nations,” the US embassy spokesperson added.

Papua New Guinea’s Prime Minister James Marape met the US undersecretary for defense policy, Elbridge Colby, in Washington last month to discuss regional security challenges, with Marape raising “the importance of defending Papua New Guinea’s sovereignty,” said the embassy spokesperson.

Colby has reportedly pressed US allies Australia and Japan to clarify what role they would play if the US and China went to war over Taiwan.

China has been a major infrastructure lender to PNG, and Marape’s office did not respond to a Reuters request for comment.

Another key PNG site listed in the US defense agreement is the Lombrum Naval Base, which PNG’s Defense Minister Billy Joseph recently said will be officially handed over by Australia in a ceremony later this month, after a multi-million dollar renovation.

Australia outbid China to upgrade the strategically located navy base in 2018.

China’s embassy in PNG last week posted social media images of Joseph at a local event celebrating the founding of the People’s Liberation Army, and said China was willing to deepen military cooperation with PNG.


France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

  • Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence

ALGIERS: France and Algeria agreed on Tuesday to restart security cooperation during a visit to Algiers by French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez, marking the first sign of a thaw in diplomatic ties.
After meeting with President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, Nunez said both sides had agreed to “reactivate a high-level security cooperation mechanism.”
The visit took place against a backdrop of thorny relations between France and its former colony, frayed since Paris in 2024 officially backed Moroccan sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara region, where Algeria supports the pro-independence Polisario Front.
Nunez said Monday had been devoted to working sessions aimed at “restoring normal security relations,” including cooperation in judicial matters, policing and intelligence.
He thanked the Algerian president for instructing his services to work with French authorities to “improve cooperation on readmissions.” Algeria has for months refused to take back its nationals living irregularly in France.
The renewed cooperation is expected to take effect “as quickly as possible” and continue “at a very high level,” Nunez confirmed.
According to images released by Algerian authorities, the talks brought together senior security officials from both countries, including France’s domestic intelligence chief and Algeria’s head of internal security.
Invited by his counterpart Said Sayoud, Nunez’s trip had been planned for months but repeatedly delayed.
Both sides have a backlog of issues to tackle. Before traveling, Nunez said he intended to raise “all security issues,” including drug trafficking and counterterrorism.
Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence.
Ahead of the trip, Nunez had also mentioned the case of Christophe Gleizes, a French sports journalist serving a seven-year sentence for “glorifying terrorism.”
It is unclear whether the matter was discussed with Tebboune, from whom the journalist’s family has requested a pardon.