Lebanon mourns iconic composer Ziad Rahbani as mother Fayrouz makes rare appearance

Lebanon's diva Fairuz, one of the Arab world's most popular singers and the mother of Ziad Rahbani, a visionary Lebanese composer, playwright, pianist and political provocateur, who died last Saturday at age 69. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 29 July 2025
Follow

Lebanon mourns iconic composer Ziad Rahbani as mother Fayrouz makes rare appearance

  • Hundreds of people in Lebanon have paid tribute to iconic composer, pianist and playwright Ziad Rahbani, who died over the weekend
  • His mother, Fayrouz, one of the Arab world’s most esteemed singers, made a rare public appearance

BEIRUT: Hundreds of people in Lebanon paid tribute Monday to iconic composer, pianist and playwright Ziad Rahbani, who died over the weekend. His mother, Fayrouz, one of the Arab world’s most esteemed singers, made a rare public appearance.
Rahbani, also known as a political provocateur, died Saturday at age 69. The cause of death was not immediately known.
His passing shocked much of the Arab world, which appreciated his satire, unapologetic political critique and avante-garde, jazz-inspired compositions that mirrored the chaos and contradictions of Lebanon throughout its civil war from 1975 until 1990. He also composed some of his mother’s most famous songs.
The Rahbani family was a cornerstone in Lebanon’s golden era of music theater that today is steeped in idealism and nostalgia in a troubled country.
Top Lebanese political officials and artists paid tribute after the death was announced. Rahbani, a leftist Greek Orthodox, often mocked Lebanon’s sectarian divisions in his work.
Hundreds of people holding roses and photos gathered by Khoury Hospital near Beirut’s busy Hamra district, solemnly singing some of his most famous songs and applauding as a vehicle carrying his body left its garage.
Reem Haidar, who grew up during the civil war, said Rahbani’s songs and their messages were what she and others associated with at a time when there was “no nation to belong to.”
The vehicle made its way to a church in the mountainous town of Bikfaya before burial in the family cemetery.
Fayrouz, 90, had spent many years away from the public eye. Wearing black sunglasses and a black veil, she greeted visitors who came to pay respects. She had not been seen publicly since photos surfaced of her meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron, who visited her residence in 2020 to award her France’s highest medal of honor.
In recent years, Rahbani also appeared less in the public eye, yet his influence never waned. Younger generations rediscovered his plays online and sampled his music in protest movements. He continued to compose and write, speaking often of his frustration with Lebanon’s political stagnation and decaying public life.
Rahbani is survived by his mother and his sister Reema and brother Hali.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.