Defense minister denies India bowed to pressure to end fighting with Pakistan

India's Defence Minister Rajnath Singh (right) waits to receive his Japanese counterpart Gen Nakatani at a ceremonial reception in New Delhi, India, May 5, 2025. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 28 July 2025
Follow

Defense minister denies India bowed to pressure to end fighting with Pakistan

  • Pakistan thanked Trump for brokering the agreement but India said Washington had no hand in it and that New Delhi, Islamabad agreed between themselves
  • Pakistan claimed it had downed five Indian planes and India’s highest ranking general told Reuters India suffered initial losses in the air, but declined to share details

NEW DELHI: India’s defense minister said on Monday that New Delhi had ended its military conflict with Pakistan in May as it had met all its objectives and had not responded to pressure, rejecting US President Donald Trump’s claim that he brokered the truce.

Defense Minister Rajnath Singh was speaking at the opening of a discussion in parliament on the April 22 attack on Hindu tourists in Indian-administered Kashmir in which 26 men were killed.

The attack led to a fierce, four-day military conflict with Pakistan in May, the worst between the nuclear-armed neighbors in nearly three decades.

“India halted its operation because all the political and military objectives studied before and during the conflict had been fully achieved,” Singh said.

“To suggest that the operation was called off under pressure is baseless and entirely incorrect,” he said.

Singh’s comments came as the Indian Army said that it had killed three men in an intense gunbattle in Kashmir on Monday.

Indian TV channels said the men were suspected to be behind the April attack. Reuters could not immediately verify the information.

The Kashmir attack was the worst assault on civilians in the country since the 2008 Mumbai attacks. New Delhi said Pakistani nationals were involved in the killings and blamed Islamabad for backing them. Pakistan denied involvement and sought an independent investigation.

In the latest conflict, the two sides used fighter jets, missiles, drones and other munitions, killing dozens of people, before Trump announced they had agreed to a ceasefire.

Pakistan thanked Trump for brokering the agreement but India said Washington had no hand in it and that New Delhi and Islamabad had agreed between themselves to end the fighting.

Indian opposition groups have questioned what they say is the intelligence failure behind the Kashmir attack and the government’s inability to capture the assailants — issues they are expected to raise during the parliament discussion.

They have also criticized Prime Minister Narendra Modi for coming under pressure from Trump and agreeing to end the fighting, along with reports that Indian jets were shot down during the fighting.

Pakistan claimed it downed five Indian planes in combat, and India’s highest ranking general told Reuters that India suffered initial losses in the air, but declined to give details.

The Himalayan region of Kashmir has been at the heart of the hostility between old rivals India and Pakistan, both of whom claim the region in full but rule it in part, and have fought two of their three wars over it.

India accuses Pakistan of helping separatists in its part of Kashmir, but Pakistan denies this and says it only provides diplomatic and moral support to Kashmiris seeking self-determination.


Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

  • Unexploded mortar shell in Bajaur home kills one, injures nine including children
  • Motorcycle bomb near Bannu police station kills two, wounds 12 civilians

PESHAWAR: At least three people were killed and more than 20 others injured in two separate explosions in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, officials said on Monday.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border. 

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

In the first incident, a senior police officer Anwar Zeb told Arab News a suspected mortar shell exploded in Salarzai, a remote town in Bajaur district, killing one person and injuring nine others.

“Initial reports indicated that children had found an unexploded mortar shell and brought it home, where it later detonated late Sunday evening,” he added.

Riaz Khan, media officer at Bajaur Rescue1122, said those injured in the blast included men, women and children.

“A rescue team was swiftly dispatched to the area to evacuate those dead and injured to the nearest medical facility,” he added.

In a separate incident, a remote-controlled bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded near Miryan Police Station in southern Bannu district, according to Aamir Khan, spokesman to Regional Police Officer.

“The explosive device had been installed in a motorcycle parked near shops in front of the police facility, killing two civilians while 12 others sustained injuries,” he added.

Security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the explosion and launched a search operation.

Investigations into both incidents are ongoing.