Ukraine says Starlink’s global outage hit its military communications

Starlink systems used by Ukrainian military units were down for two and a half hours overnight, a senior commander said, part of a global issue that disrupted the satellite internet provider. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 25 July 2025
Follow

Ukraine says Starlink’s global outage hit its military communications

  • Ukraine’s forces are heavily reliant on thousands of SpaceX’s Starlink terminals for battlefield communications
  • “Combat missions were performed without a (video) feed, battlefield reconnaissance was done with strike (drones),” Brovdi wrote

KYIV: Starlink systems used by Ukrainian military units were down for two and a half hours overnight, a senior commander said, part of a global issue that disrupted the satellite Internet provider.

Ukraine’s forces are heavily reliant on thousands of SpaceX’s Starlink terminals for battlefield communications and some drone operations, as they have proved resistant to espionage and signal jamming throughout the three and a half years of fighting Russia’s invasion.

Starlink experienced one of its biggest international outages on Thursday when an internal software failure knocked tens of thousands of users offline.

“Starlink is down across the entire front,” Robert Brovdi, the commander of Ukraine’s drone forces, wrote on Telegram at 10:41 p.m. (1941 GMT) on Thursday.

Starlink, which has more than 6 million users across roughly 140 countries and territories, later acknowledged the global outage on its X account and said “we are actively implementing a solution.”

Brovdi updated his post later to say that by about 1:05 a.m. on Friday the issue had been resolved. He said the incident had highlighted the risk of reliance on the systems, and called for communication and connectivity methods to be diversified.

“Combat missions were performed without a (video) feed, battlefield reconnaissance was done with strike (drones),” Brovdi wrote.

A Ukrainian drone commander, speaking anonymously to discuss sensitive matters, told Reuters his unit had to postpone several combat operations as a result of the outage.

Oleksandr Dmitriev, the founder of OCHI, a Ukrainian system that centralizes feeds from thousands of drone crews across the frontline, told Reuters the outage showed that relying on cloud services to command units and relay battlefield drone reconnaissance was a “huge risk.”

“If connection to the Internet is lost ... the ability to conduct combat operations is practically gone,” he said, calling for a move toward local communication systems that are not reliant on the Internet.

Reuters reported on Friday that Starlink owner Elon Musk issued an order in 2022 to cut Starlink coverage in certain areas of Ukraine as Ukrainian forces were waging a counter-offensive to take back occupied land from Russia.

As of April 2025, according to Ukrainian government social media posts, Kyiv has received more than 50,000 Starlink terminals.

Although Starlink does not operate in Russia, Ukrainian officials have said that Moscow’s troops are also widely using the systems on the frontlines in Ukraine.

“The outage was due to failure of key internal software services that operate the core network,” Starlink vice president Michael Nicolls wrote on X, apologizing for the disruption and vowing to find its root cause.


Germany’s Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Germany’s Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world

  • “We will not allow these people from the so-called Alternative for Germany to ruin our country,” Merz told party delegates
  • He avoided critising his coalition partners in the center-left Social Democrats

STUTTGART, Germany: Chancellor Friedrich Merz vowed on Friday not to let the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party “ruin” Germany and told his fellow conservatives to prepare for a raw new climate of great-power competition.
Merz’s message to the Christian Democrat (CDU) party’s conference in Stuttgart reiterated points he made at last weekend’s Munich Security Conference, saying the “rules based order we knew no longer exists.” He also made calls for economic reform, and a rejection of antisemitism and the AfD, which is aiming to win its first state election this year.
“We will not allow these people from the so-called Alternative for Germany to ruin our country,” he told party delegates, who ⁠welcomed former chancellor ⁠Angela Merkel with a storm of applause on her first visit to the conference since stepping down in 2021.
Merz, trailing badly in the polls ahead of a string of state elections this year, said he accepted criticism that the reforms he announced during last year’s election campaign had been slower than initially communicated.
“I will freely admit that perhaps, after the change of government, ⁠we did not make it clear quickly enough that we would not be able to achieve this enormous reform effort overnight,” he said.
He avoided critising his coalition partners in the center-left Social Democrats and promised to push ahead with efforts to cut bureaucracy, bring down energy costs and foster investment, saying that economic prosperity was vital to Germany’s security.
He also pledged further reforms of the welfare state and said new proposals for a reform of the pension system would be presented, following a revolt by younger members of his own party in a bruising parliamentary battle last year.
Merz’s speech was ⁠greeted with ⁠around 10 minutes of applause as delegates put on a show of unity and he was re-elected as party chairman with 91 percent of the vote, avoiding any potentially embarrassing display of internal dissatisfaction.
Among other business, the party conference is due to discuss a motion to block access to social media platforms for children under the age of 16. However any legislation would take time because under the German system, state governments have the main responsibility for regulating media.
The elections begin next month with the western states of Baden-Wuerttemberg and Rhineland-Palatinate before a further round later in the year, one of them in the eastern state of Saxony-Anhalt, where the AfD hopes to win its first state ballot.