UN backs peaceful dispute resolution as Pakistan slams India over water treaty suspension 

Diplomats participate in a United Nations (UN) meeting of the UN Security Council (UNSC) on July 22, 2025, in New York City. (UNSC/ X)
Short Url
Updated 22 July 2025
Follow

UN backs peaceful dispute resolution as Pakistan slams India over water treaty suspension 

  • Pakistan’s deputy PM criticizes India for “illegally” suspending 65-year-old water-sharing treaty
  • UN Security Council unanimously adopts resolution on mechanisms to resolve global conflicts

ISLAMABAD: The United Nations Security Council on Tuesday unanimously adopted a resolution calling on member states to use peaceful means, including negotiation, mediation and judicial settlement, to resolve disputes, as Pakistan accused India of undermining a landmark water-sharing agreement.

Signed in 1960 with World Bank mediation, the Indus Waters Treaty governs the distribution of the Indus River and its tributaries between India and Pakistan, two nuclear-armed neighbors with a history of conflict. Despite strained bilateral relations over the decades, the treaty has been regarded as one of the most resilient diplomatic frameworks in South Asia.

Speaking at the UNSC’s open debate, Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said the 65-year-old Indus Waters Treaty remained a “noteworthy example of dialog and diplomacy working for peacefully arriving at a water-sharing arrangement between two neighbors.”

“The treaty has withstood periods of trials and tribulations in bilateral relations,” Dar said.

“It is most unfortunate and regrettable that India has chosen to illegally and unilaterally hold this treaty in abeyance on baseless grounds with the intention of withholding the flow of water to 240 million people of Pakistan, who rely on it for their livelihood and survival.”

Dar’s remarks came as the Security Council adopted a resolution reaffirming the importance of peaceful dispute resolution mechanisms, with all 15 of the Council’s members voting in favor.

The resolution encourages states to make full use of existing mechanisms such as “negotiation, mediation, arbitration, judicial settlement or other peaceful means,” in accordance with the UN Charter.

India decided to hold the IWT treaty “in abeyance” after a militant attack in Indian-administered Kashmir killed 26 people in April. New Delhi blamed Pakistan for being behind the attack and announced a slew of punitive measures, including suspending the water sharing pact. 

Pakistan denies involvement in the assault and has called for an independent international investigation.

The IWT ensures water supply for 80 percent of Pakistani farms. Pakistan has previously warned that the treaty contains no provision for unilateral withdrawal and any attempt to block or stop river water flowing into the country would be considered “an act of war.”

In May, weeks after the April attack, the most intense India–Pakistan military confrontation in decades ensued, involving a series of drone, artillery and missile strikes before a ceasefire was brokered by the US on May 10.


Farhan’s maiden ton fires Pakistan into T20 World Cup Super Eight

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Farhan’s maiden ton fires Pakistan into T20 World Cup Super Eight

  • Sahibzada Farhan remained unbeaten with 100 off 58 balls, guiding Pakistan to 199 in Group A clash
  • Pakistan’s Usman Tariq, Shadab Khan take four, three wickets, respectively, to dismiss Namibia for 97

Pakistan became the ‌final team to qualify for the Super Eight of the Twenty20 World Cup after Sahibzada ​Farhan’s maiden international century powered them to a thumping 102-run victory over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.

Farhan remained unbeaten on exactly 100 off 58 balls, reaching his landmark in the final over as Pakistan posted 199 in ‌their must-win ‌Group A encounter at ​the ‌Sinhalese ⁠Sports ​Club Ground.

The ⁠opener’s explosive knock featured 11 boundaries and four sixes, with skipper Salman Agha contributing a useful 38 and Shadab Khan adding an unbeaten 36 that included two sixes in the final ⁠over of the innings.

Namibia’s chase never ‌gained momentum despite ‌a promising start from ​opener Louren Steenkamp, ‌who raced to 23 before the African ‌side began losing wickets at regular intervals.

Shadab (3-19) proved instrumental with the ball as well, dismissing skipper Gerhard Erasmus before having Alexander ‌Busing-Volschenk stumped for 20 when the middle-order batter charged down the ⁠pitch ⁠as the required run rate mounted.

Spinner Usman Tariq cleaned up the tail and finished with career-best figures of 4-16 as Namibia were dismissed for 97, ending their World Cup campaign without a win to finish bottom of the group.