Children most affected by worsening malnutrition in Gaza Strip

1 / 5
An injured boy reacts as he sits on the ground by other men who were all wounded while previously queueing for aid, at Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 20, 2025. (AFP)
2 / 5
A man carries the body of Yahya Fadi al-Najjar, an infant who died due to malnourishment, during the funeral at Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 20, 2025. (AFP)
3 / 5
A horse-driven cart carrying injured people and the bodies of dead victims arrives at Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 20, 2025. (AFP)
4 / 5
Mourners gather by the body of a young victim killed the previous day by Israeli bombardment during the funeral at Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 20, 2025. (AFP)
5 / 5
The mother of Yahya Fadi al-Najjar, an infant who died due to malnourishment, mourns as she holds his body during the funeral at Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 20, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 July 2025
Follow

Children most affected by worsening malnutrition in Gaza Strip

  • The UN’s World Food Programme warned in early July that the price of flour for bread was 3,000 times more expensive than before the war began more than 21 months ago

NUSEIRAT: As malnutrition surges in war-torn Gaza, tens of thousands of children and women require urgent treatment, according to the UN, while aid enters the blockaded Palestinian territory at a trickle.
Gaza’s civil defense agency said it has noted a rising number of infant deaths caused by “severe hunger and malnutrition,” reporting at least three such deaths in the past week.
“These heartbreaking cases were not caused by direct bombing but by starvation, the lack of baby formula and the absence of basic health care,” civil defense spokesman Mahmud Bassal said.

FASTFACT

MSF said that patients at its Gaza clinics do not heal properly from their wounds due to protein deficiency.

Ziad Musleh, a 45-year-old father displaced from Gaza’s north to the central city of Nuseirat, said: “We are dying, our children are dying and we can’t do anything to stop it.”
“Our children cry and scream for food. They go to sleep in pain, in hunger, with empty stomachs. There is absolutely no food.
“And if by chance a small amount appears in the market, the prices are outrageous — no one can afford it.”
At a food distribution site in a UN-school-turned-shelter in Nuseirat on Sunday, children entertained themselves by banging on their plates as they waited for their turn.
Several of them had faces stretched thin by hunger, a journalist reported.
Umm Sameh Abu Zeina, whose cheekbones protruded from her thin face as she waited for food in Nuseirat, said she had lost 35 kg.
“We do not eat enough. I don’t eat, I leave the food I receive for my daughter,” she said, adding that she had a range of health conditions, including high blood pressure and diabetes.
Gazans as well as the UN and aid organizations frequently complain that depleted stocks have sent prices skyrocketing for what little food is available in the markets.

WFP condemns violence at food distribution points

In northern Gaza on Sunday, the Health Ministry, witnesses and a UN official said Israeli forces opened fire toward crowds who tried to get food from a 25-truck convoy that had entered the hard-hit area.
The World Food Program statement, which said the crowd surrounding its convoy “came under fire from Israeli tanks, snipers and other gunfire,” backs up those claims. The statement did not specify a death toll, saying only the incident resulted in the loss of “countless lives.”
“These people were simply trying to access food to feed themselves and their families on the brink of starvation,” it said, adding that the incident occurred despite assurances from Israeli authorities that aid delivery would improve. “Shootings near humanitarian missions, convoys and food distributions must stop immediately.” 


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.