Let the Esports World Cup games begin!

Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan, right, speaks to the press on Wednesday. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 10 July 2025
Follow

Let the Esports World Cup games begin!

  • Features 2,000 players, 25 tournaments, $70m to win
  • Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan hails govt support

RIYADH: The Esports World Cup kicks off in Riyadh on Thursday featuring over 2,000 elite players, 25 tournaments across 24 leading titles, and a record-breaking prize pool of over $70 million.

Running from July 10 to Aug. 24, the event will also have the world’s top 200 clubs competing in a new format.

At the heart of the competition is the Club Championship, where teams accumulate points to claim a $7 million grand prize and the coveted trophy.

The over $70 million prize pool also includes $38 million for individual Game Championships, $5 million in global qualifier rewards, and $450,000 in MVP bonuses.

Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan, chairman of the Saudi Esports Federation, praised Saudi Arabia’s leadership for their support at a press conference in Riyadh on Wednesday.

“The Kingdom is cementing its position as a global leader in gaming and esports. The Esports World Cup is a clear reflection of that progress.”

The event, run by the Esport World Cup Foundation, was first held in Riyadh last year with a purse of $62.5 million.

The team competition was won by Team Falcons, from Saudi Arabia, in 2024.

“This event stands as a global milestone for esports by showcasing the scale, ambition, and future of competitive gaming,” Prince Faisal said.

“It is a moment that will shape the direction of the industry for years to come.”

Faisal bin Homran, chief product officer of the Esports World Cup Foundation, added: “The Esports World Cup is redefining what’s possible in esports.

“It brings together the world’s top teams to compete in the most iconic and advanced arenas, delivering a level of excitement that is unmatched across the industry.”


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.