White House calls Pakistan’s Nobel nomination for Trump ‘win’ for American people

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington, on July 7, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 08 July 2025
Follow

White House calls Pakistan’s Nobel nomination for Trump ‘win’ for American people

  • Islamabad said it would recommend Trump for Peace Prize for helping resolve recent conflict with India
  • Pakistan says US intervention ended the fighting, India says it was due to a bilateral agreement 

ISLAMABAD: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt on Monday called Pakistan’s nomination of US President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize a “win” for the American people. 

Islamabad said last month it would recommend Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize, an accolade that he has repeatedly said he craves, for his work in helping to resolve the recent conflict between India and Pakistan.

In May, a surprise announcement by Trump of a ceasefire brought an abrupt end to a four-day air war between nuclear-armed foes India and Pakistan. Trump has since repeatedly said that he averted a nuclear war, saved millions of lives and grumbled that he got no credit for it.

Pakistan agrees that US diplomatic intervention ended the fighting but India says it was a bilateral agreement between the two militaries.

On Monday evening, Leavitt wrote on X that “over the past few weeks, President Trump has delivered more wins for the American people than most Presidents do in four years.”

In the list of his victories she included:

“Pakistan nominated President Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his decisive diplomatic intervention to prevent a nuclear war between India and Pakistan.”

 

 

 

Pakistan on June 21 said it was nominating Trump as “a genuine peacemaker” for his role in bringing the conflict with India to an end, adding that he had “demonstrated great strategic foresight and stellar statesmanship.”

In a social media post a day earlier, Trump gave a long list of conflicts he said he had resolved, including India and Pakistan and the Abraham accords in his first term between Israel and some Muslim-majority countries. 

He added: “I won’t get a Nobel Peace Prize no matter what I do.”

Pakistan’s move to nominate Trump came in the same week its army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, met the US leader for lunch. It was the first time that a Pakistani military leader had been invited to the White House when a civilian government was in place in Islamabad.

On Monday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Trump he had nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize, handing Trump a nomination letter during a meeting at the White House.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.