French ex-PM Fillon given suspended sentence over wife’s fake job

French former prime minister Francois Fillon attends a ceremony in front of the tomb of French former defence minister and Fillon's mentor in politics, Joel Le Theule at the cemetery in Sable-sur-Sarthe, northwestern France. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 June 2025
Follow

French ex-PM Fillon given suspended sentence over wife’s fake job

  • Francois Fillon, 71, had been found guilty in 2022 on appeal of embezzlement for providing a fake parliamentary assistant job to his wife
  • The Paris appeals court also ordered him to pay a fine of $433,000 and barred him from seeking elected office for five years

PARIS: Former French prime minister Francois Fillon was on Tuesday given a four-year suspended prison sentence over a fake jobs scandal that wrecked his 2017 presidential bid.
Fillon, 71, had been found guilty in 2022 on appeal of embezzlement for providing a fake parliamentary assistant job to his wife, Penelope Fillon, that saw her being paid from public funds although the court found that she never did any work in the National Assembly.
The Paris appeals court also ordered him to pay a fine of 375,000 euros ($433,000) and barred him from seeking elected office for five years.
The sentence was milder than the one handed down in 2022, when he had been ordered to spend one year behind bars without any suspension.
But France’s highest appeals court, the Court of Cassation, overruled that decision and ordered a new sentencing trial.
No change was made to the punishment for Penelope Fillon, who is British, and who was handed a two-year suspended sentence and ordered to pay the same fine as her husband.
The couple has always insisted that Penelope Fillon had done genuine constituency work.
Neither was present in court for the sentencing.
Fillon, a conservative, earlier this year called the ban on seeking public office a “moral wound.”
The scandal, dubbed “PenelopeGate” by the French press, hurt Fillon’s popularity and contributed to his first-round elimination in France’s 2017 presidential election that was won by current President Emmanuel Macron.
“The treatment I received was somewhat unusual and nobody will convince me otherwise,” Fillon said. “Perhaps there was a link with me being a candidate in the presidential election.”
Sarkozy and Le Pen
Fillon claimed that fake parliamentary jobs were common between 1981 and 2021, saying that “a large majority” of lawmakers had been in a “perfectly similar situation” to his during that time.
His wife’s fake contract ran from 2012 to 2013.
“It is the appreciation of the court that there is no proof of any salaried work in the case,” the court said in its ruling.
Fillon’s lawyer, Antonin Levy, welcomed the decision to spare his client time in prison.
“Francois Fillon is a free man,” he said.
In another recent high-profile case involving French politicians, former president Nicolas Sarkozy, also a conservative, was stripped of his Legion d’Honneur distinction following his conviction for graft.
Sarkozy, 70, had been wearing an electronic ankle tag until last month after France’s highest appeals court upheld his conviction last December of trying to illegally secure favors from a judge.
Sarkozy is currently on trial in a separate case on charges of accepting illegal campaign financing in an alleged pact with late Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
Another case involves far-right leader Marine Le Pen, who was convicted in an embezzlement trial over fake European Parliament jobs, and is appealing the verdict.
As well as being given a partly suspended jail term and a fine, she was banned from taking part in elections for five years, which would — if confirmed — scupper her ambition of standing for the presidency in 2027.


France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

  • Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence

ALGIERS: France and Algeria agreed on Tuesday to restart security cooperation during a visit to Algiers by French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez, marking the first sign of a thaw in diplomatic ties.
After meeting with President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, Nunez said both sides had agreed to “reactivate a high-level security cooperation mechanism.”
The visit took place against a backdrop of thorny relations between France and its former colony, frayed since Paris in 2024 officially backed Moroccan sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara region, where Algeria supports the pro-independence Polisario Front.
Nunez said Monday had been devoted to working sessions aimed at “restoring normal security relations,” including cooperation in judicial matters, policing and intelligence.
He thanked the Algerian president for instructing his services to work with French authorities to “improve cooperation on readmissions.” Algeria has for months refused to take back its nationals living irregularly in France.
The renewed cooperation is expected to take effect “as quickly as possible” and continue “at a very high level,” Nunez confirmed.
According to images released by Algerian authorities, the talks brought together senior security officials from both countries, including France’s domestic intelligence chief and Algeria’s head of internal security.
Invited by his counterpart Said Sayoud, Nunez’s trip had been planned for months but repeatedly delayed.
Both sides have a backlog of issues to tackle. Before traveling, Nunez said he intended to raise “all security issues,” including drug trafficking and counterterrorism.
Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence.
Ahead of the trip, Nunez had also mentioned the case of Christophe Gleizes, a French sports journalist serving a seven-year sentence for “glorifying terrorism.”
It is unclear whether the matter was discussed with Tebboune, from whom the journalist’s family has requested a pardon.