Pakistan hails 2025 Hajj as ‘historic’ after winning Saudi award for best services

Pakistan’s Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousaf (center) speaks during a press conference in Makkah, on June 10, 2025. (Facebook/@mora.official)
Short Url
Updated 10 June 2025
Follow

Pakistan hails 2025 Hajj as ‘historic’ after winning Saudi award for best services

  • Sardar Yousaf says pilgrims in the lowest payment tier received services reserved for higher-cost packages
  • He adds the government-backed Hajj package was more affordable than those offered by neighboring states

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousaf on Wednesday described the 2025 Hajj as “historic compared to previous years” for Pakistani pilgrims, citing improved services, enhanced facilities and formal recognition from Saudi authorities for the country’s pilgrimage management.

Addressing a post-Hajj press conference in Makkah, the minister said Pakistan’s Hajj Mission had received an Excellence Award from the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, ranking first among the seven missions honored this year, in recognition of its services to over 115,000 Pakistani pilgrims.

“The 2025 Hajj was historic compared to previous years, and Pakistani pilgrims were provided exceptional services and facilities,” Yousaf said. “This award from the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah is a matter of pride for Pakistan.”

Saudi Arabia hosted over 88,000 government-sponsored Pakistani pilgrims this year, he said, noting that for the first time, air-conditioned tents, gypsum board partitions, sofa-cum-beds and overhead shelves were introduced in Mina.

Facilities at Arafat also included enhanced air-conditioning, shaded walkways and grassy areas.

Yousaf said pilgrims in the lowest payment category were offered services typically reserved for higher-tier packages.

He maintained the Hajj package for government-sponsored pilgrims remained more affordable than those offered in neighboring countries, while offering superior services.

In Madinah, all Pakistani pilgrims were housed in three- and five-star hotels near the Prophet’s Mosque and given the opportunity to visit Riyaz-ul-Jannah.

To improve coordination, Pakistan introduced a “Nazim Scheme” for the first time, assigning a group leader to every 188 pilgrims.

More than 400 medical professionals were also deployed to ensure health care services for pilgrims.

Yousaf appreciated the Pakistani pilgrims for their cooperation and adherence to Saudi guidelines during the pilgrimage.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”