Leo, the first US pope, criticizes nationalist politics at Sunday Mass

Pope Leo XIV at the mass for the Jubilee of the Ecclesial Movements, Associations and New Communities, in St. Peter square at the Vatican. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 08 June 2025
Follow

Leo, the first US pope, criticizes nationalist politics at Sunday Mass

VATICAN CITY: Pope Leo criticized the emergence of nationalist political movements on Sunday, calling them unfortunate, without naming a specific country or national leader.
Leo, the first pope from the US, asked during a Mass with a crowd of tens of thousands in St. Peter’s Square that God would “open borders, break down walls (and) dispel hatred.”
“There is no room for prejudice, for ‘security’ zones separating us from our neighbors, for the exclusionary mindset that, unfortunately, we now see emerging also in political nationalisms,” said the pontiff.
Leo, the former Cardinal Robert Prevost, was elected on May 8 to succeed the late Pope Francis as leader of the 1.4-billion-member Church.
Before becoming pontiff, Prevost was not shy about criticizing US President Donald Trump, sharing numerous disapproving posts about Trump and Vice President JD Vance on X in recent years.
The Vatican has not confirmed the new pope’s ownership of the X account, which had the handle @drprevost, and was deactivated after Leo’s election.
Francis, pope for 12 years, was a sharp critic of Trump. The late pope said in January that the president’s plan to deport millions of migrants in the US during his second term was a “disgrace.”
Earlier, Francis said Trump was “not Christian” because of his views on immigration.
“A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian,” Francis said when asked about Trump in 2016.
Leo was celebrating a Mass for Pentecost, one of the Church’s most important holidays.


Over 150 Ukrainian drones repelled overnight: Russian state media

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Over 150 Ukrainian drones repelled overnight: Russian state media

  • On Tuesday, the two sides are set to begin another round of diplomatic negotiations backed by the United States
MOSCOW: Russia repelled more than 150 Ukrainian drones overnight, Moscow’s defense ministry told state media on Tuesday, as Kyiv steps up its counterattacks ahead of talks in Geneva.
“Overnight, air defense forces destroyed 151 Ukrainian drones over Russian regions, as well as over the Black and Azov Seas,” the ministry reported.
In Russian-annexed Crimea, Sevastopol governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said two dozen drones were shot down during “one of the longest attacks in recent times.”
“Unfortunately, there were injuries. According to preliminary information, one child was wounded,” he posted on Telegram.
On Tuesday, the two sides are set to begin another round of diplomatic negotiations backed by the United States, after two previous rounds of talks mediated by the White House yielded no breakthroughs.
While Russia occupies around one-fifth of Ukraine, Kyiv has recently made battlefield advances, recapturing 201 square kilometers (78 square miles) between Wednesday and Sunday last week, an AFP analysis of data from the Institute for the Study of War shows.