Chairman of hard-right Reform UK party Zia Yusuf quits

British businessman and Chairman of Reform UK Zia Yusuf speaks to the press during the counting of ballots for the Runcorn & Helsby by-election at the DSBL stadium count center, in Widnes, north-west England, on May 1, 2025. He has resigned as chairman of the party. (AFP/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 05 June 2025
Follow

Chairman of hard-right Reform UK party Zia Yusuf quits

  • Announcement came after he criticized party’s newest MP for asking PM Starmer whether he would ban burqas in UK
  • Resignation hints at unrest in arch-Euroskeptic Nigel Farage’s party

LONDON: The chairman of Britain’s hard-right Reform UK party quit on Thursday, saying that trying to get the upstarts elected to government was no longer “a good use of my time.”

Zia Yusuf’s announcement came after he criticized the party’s newest MP for asking Prime Minister Keir Starmer whether he would ban the wearing of burqas in the UK.

The resignation hints at unrest in arch-Euroskeptic Nigel Farage’s party, which has already lost one MP since it secured a breakthrough result at last July’s general election.

“Eleven months ago I became chairman of Reform. I’ve worked full time as a volunteer to take the party from 14 to 30 percent (voter support), quadrupled its membership and delivered historic electoral results,” Yusuf wrote on X.

“I no longer believe working to get a Reform government elected is a good use of my time, and hereby resign the office,” he added.

Earlier, the 38-year-old had slammed Sarah Pochin, who was elected in a by-election last month, for her question to Starmer on Wednesday.

“I do think it’s dumb for a party to ask the PM if they would do something the party itself wouldn’t do,” Yusuf wrote on X.

He became chairman in July last year, shortly after Reform won 14 percent of the vote and five seats in parliament — an unprecedented haul for a hard-right group in a British general election.

Yusuf was tasked with professionalizing the group’s grassroots operations and training up candidates ahead of what Farage has said will be a major challenge to Starmer’s Labour party at the next general election, likely in 2029.

Anti-immigrant Reform has consistently led national opinion polls for several weeks now and won hundreds of councillors at local polls on May 1.

Farage said he was “genuinely sorry” that Yusuf had decided to stand down, but some analysts saw it as another example of the charismatic Brexit cheerleader falling out with a senior figure in his party.

“It’s like deja vu all over again,” political scientist Tim Bale wrote on X, citing Farage’s previous leadership of UKIP and the Brexit Party.

“No-one but no-one gets to be bigger than big Nige,” added the Queen Mary University of London politics professor.

Last month, former Reform lawmaker Rupert Lowe called Farage a “viper” after his dramatic suspension from the party over claims he had threatened Yusuf.

Prosecutors did not charge Lowe, citing “insufficient evidence.”


Australian warship transits Taiwan Strait, tracked by China’s navy

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Australian warship transits Taiwan Strait, tracked by China’s navy

  • In addition to claiming sovereignty over democratically governed Taiwan, Beijing views the narrow, highly strategic strait as Chinese territorial waters
SYDNEY: An Australian warship sailed through the Taiwan Strait, a government source said on Sunday, in the latest ​transit of the sensitive waterway by a US ally that Chinese state-backed media said was tracked and monitored by the nation’s military.
In addition to claiming sovereignty over democratically governed Taiwan, Beijing views the narrow, highly strategic strait as Chinese territorial waters and has responded aggressively on occasion to foreign navies ‌sailing there.
The ‌Toowoomba, an Anzac-class frigate of ​the ‌Royal Australian ⁠Navy, “conducted ​a routine ⁠transit through the Taiwan Strait” on Friday and Saturday as part of a “Regional Presence Deployment in the Indo-Pacific region,” the source said.
“All interactions with foreign ships and aircraft were safe and professional,” the source said.
China’s state-backed Global Times newspaper, citing an unnamed Chinese ⁠military source, reported late on Saturday ‌that “the Chinese People’s Liberation ‌Army carried out full-process tracking, monitoring, ​and alert operations throughout ‌the transit.”
Taiwan’s defense ministry said in a statement ‌that it closely monitors the skies and waters around the island and that the strait is an international waterway for which all countries enjoy the right of freedom of navigation.
“The ‌Ministry of National Defense will not proactively disclose the movements of aircraft and ⁠ships ⁠of friendly allied countries,” it added, without elaborating.
US warships traverse the strait every few months, enraging Beijing, and some US allies such as France, Australia, Britain and Canada have also made occasional transits.
China has ramped up its military presence around Taiwan and staged its latest war games around the island in late December.
Taiwan’s government rejects Beijing’s sovereignty claims, saying only the island’s people can decide their ​future.