Europe’s tough talk on Gaza belies its thirst for Israeli weapons

Israel's Iron Dome air defense system intercepts an attack from Lebanon. Europe increased purchases of Israeli military equipment in 2024. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 05 June 2025
Follow

Europe’s tough talk on Gaza belies its thirst for Israeli weapons

  • Israeli defense ministry figures show exports of weapons to Europe surged in 2024
  • European leaders have voiced growing anger over Gaza atrocities and threatened sanctions

LONDON: European leaders may recently have taken a tougher stance against Israel over the devastating Gaza war, but that is not reflected in their desire for Israeli weapons.

Israel’s arms exports increased by 13 percent in 2024 to a record $14.8 billion, an increase largely attributed to growing demand in Europe, according to Israel’s defense ministry figures released Wednesday.

Europe was the largest buyer, making up 54 percent of sales, a sharp increase from a 35 percent share in 2023.

Israel is among the top 10 largest arms exporters in the world and while it is dwarfed by the United States in terms of volume, its defense industry is one of the most technologically advanced.

European countries have increased defense spending to counter the threat from Russia and after pressure from the Trump administration to provide a greater contribution to the NATO alliance.

The figures show European demand has become a key new market for Israel, but there are signs that increasing opposition from countries like the UK, France, Germany and Italy to the Gaza war are affecting sales.

On Tuesday, Spain canceled a $325 million deal for anti-tank missile systems that were to be built by a subsidiary of an Israeli company. A government spokesperson said: “The goal is clear … a total disconnection from Israeli technology.”

Israel’s largest foreign defense deal was signed in September 2024 — to build an Arrow missile defense system for Germany at the cost of $4.3 billion. The system is expected to be delivered this year.

Yet even Germany, traditionally one of Israel’s closest allies, has started to condemn Israel’s Gaza operation, with Chancellor Friedrich Merz saying it “can no longer be justified.”

Israeli defense ministry officials are concerned that European countries may cancel further contracts or impose sanctions on Israeli defense companies, The Times of Israel reported.

Last month, the UK, France and Canada threatened “concrete actions” against Israel if it did not halt its military operation in Gaza and allow humanitarian aid into the territory.

The UK also paused negotiations on a free trade agreement with Israel.

The shift in stance from countries that were previously among Israel’s staunchest supporters came after Israel imposed a two-month blockade on food and humanitarian aid to Gaza’s desperate population and ramped up its military operation in the territory.

The killing of dozens of Palestinians congregating to access food aid from a controversial new distribution system has led to further rounds of strongly worded condemnation from European and global leaders.

The defense ministry export figures show that since the war started in October 2023, Israel has managed to continue growing its arms industry while at the same time carrying out operations in Gaza, Lebanon, Yemen and Syria. 

The numbers show the next biggest market for arms exports was the Asia-Pacific region with 23 per cent of the purchases. Arab countries that normalized relations with Israel under the Abraham Accords made up 12 percent.

Defense Minister Israel Katz said the all-time record in defense exports were the “direct result” of the military campaigns against Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis, and Iran.

“The world sees Israeli strength and seeks to be a partner to it,” Katz added.

The ministry said that nearly half the deals were for air defense systems, missiles, and rockets, an increase of 12 percent from 2023.

About 9 percent of the sales were for vehicles, while satellite and space systems, electronic warfare systems, and manned aircraft and avionics, amounted to 8 percent each.

More than half of the deals were worth more than $100 million each.

Europe’s governments have also faced pressure to cut back arms sales to Israel 

Israel’s military exports are dwarfed by the military aid it receives from the US, which was estimated at nearly $18 billion for the 12 months after the October 2023 Hamas-led attack.

During the attack, 1,200 people were killed and 251 hostages seized. Israel’s resulting military operation in Gaza has killed more than 54,000 people, mostly women and children, and sparked a humanitarian disaster.

 


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.