Macron to visit Meloni after rivalry creates tension on Ukraine, trade

French President Emmanuel Macron welcomes Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni as she arrives for a meeting with European leaders and Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky at the Elysee Palace in Paris, Mar. 27, 2025. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 03 June 2025
Follow

Macron to visit Meloni after rivalry creates tension on Ukraine, trade

  • Macron is a fervent pro-European who has had a long rapport with Donald Trump
  • Meloni is a nationalist with a strong transatlantic tilt who seems more ideologically aligned with the US president

PARIS/ROME: French President Emmanuel Macron will visit Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Tuesday, seeking to improve relations amid tensions between the two European leaders over Ukraine, trade and relations with the United States.

Macron is a fervent pro-European who has had a long rapport with Donald Trump, while Meloni is a nationalist with a strong transatlantic tilt who seems more ideologically aligned with the US president. They have advocated different — even competing — approaches to the new Trump era.

Meloni, whose country has a large trade surplus with the US, has sought to keep Europe aligned with the US, using the slogan “Make the West great again” in a meeting with Trump in Washington in April. Macron has pushed for the EU to take a more independent approach.

On the Russian war in Ukraine, Meloni has been skeptical about Macron’s “coalition of the willing” and a Franco-British plan put forward earlier this year to send peacekeeping troops to Ukraine in the event of a peace agreement. Sending troops would be deeply unpopular in Italy.

Hostility flared publicly in recent weeks, with officials close to Macron and Meloni privately or openly criticizing their respective initiatives over Ukraine or trade.

Meloni was criticized in Italy for not traveling to Kyiv with Macron and the German, British and Polish leaders on May 10 and then for missing a call with Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky at a summit in Albania a few days later.

After Meloni explained her absence by saying the meetings were about sending troops to Ukraine, her government was furious that Macron said publicly that the meetings were about a ceasefire and seemed to equate her justification with “Russian disinformation.”

French and Italian officials said Macron had taken the initiative to hold Tuesday’s meeting and sought to play down talk of a rift, saying the meeting and a working dinner would be an opportunity for Macron to show “respect” and “friendship.”

“The president is available to all of our European partners, whatever the political persuasion may be,” an Elysee official told reporters.

The Elysee said the two would discuss security guarantees for Ukraine, the Mercosur trade deal and US tariffs, as well as industrial cooperation between the two countries, including Franco-Italian carmaker Stellantis, which appointed a new Italian chief executive last month.

Italian officials said the meeting was meant to “lay the foundations for a further strengthening of relations” and added that talks would also address the situation in the Middle East and Libya.

Both Italy and France are worried Russia might boost its presence in eastern Libya, to keep a foothold in the Mediterranean after Moscow’s ally President Bashar Assad was ousted in Syria in December.

“This Macron-Meloni meeting isn’t about rekindling Franco-Italian friendship. It’s about necessity, not nostalgia,” said Francesco Galietti of Rome-based consultancy Policy Sonar, saying the two capitals should find common ground on Libya “fast.”


Hungary says will block EU’s latest package of sanctions on Russia

Updated 33 sec ago
Follow

Hungary says will block EU’s latest package of sanctions on Russia

  • Ukraine says the Druzhba pipeline that crosses its territory to deliver Russian oil to Slovakia and Hungary was damaged January 27 by Russian strikes
BUDAPEST: Hungary will block the European Union’s latest package of sanctions against Russia unless Ukraine re-opens a key oil pipeline that supplies the country, Hungary’s prime minister and foreign minister both said Sunday.
“No support for sanctions; the 20th sanctions package will be rejected,” Prime Minister Viktor Orban posted on X.
“Until Ukraine resumes oil transit to Hungary and Slovakia via the Druzhba pipeline, we will not allow decisions important to Kyiv to move forward,” Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto posted, also on X.
“If Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tells us to buy oil anywhere other than Russia even if it costs us a lot of money, we have the right to respond,” he stressed.
Ukraine says the Druzhba pipeline that crosses its territory to deliver Russian oil to Slovakia and Hungary was damaged January 27 by Russian strikes.
The European Union in early February proposed new sanctions against Russia, targeting the banking and energy sectors, its 20th package since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022.
The European Commission also intends to activate its anti-coercion tool, for the first time, to ban the export of all machine tools and radio equipment to countries where there is a high risk that these products will be re-exported to Russia.
All the EU’s 27 member states must give their approval before the new sanctions can take effect.
Slovakia’s Prime Minister Robert Fico said Sunday evening he would follow through on his threats to cut emergency electricity supplies to Ukraine if Kyiv does not re-open the pipeline.
On Monday, “I will request that emergency electricity deliveries to Ukraine be stopped,” he warned on Facebook.
“If Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tells us to buy oil anywhere other than Russia even if it costs us a lot of money, we have the right to respond,” he stressed.