US-China tariff talks ‘a bit stalled,’ needs Trump, Xi input, Bessent says

US Secretary of the Treasury Scott Bessent. (Getty Images/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 30 May 2025
Follow

US-China tariff talks ‘a bit stalled,’ needs Trump, Xi input, Bessent says

US trade talks with China are “a bit stalled” and getting a deal over the finish line will likely need the direct involvement of President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Thursday.
Two weeks after breakthrough negotiations led by Bessent that resulted in a temporary truce in the trade war between the world’s two biggest economies, Bessent told Fox News that progress since then has been slow, but said he expects more talks in the next few weeks.
“I believe we may at some point have a call between the president and party Chair Xi,” Bessent said.
“Given the magnitude of the talks, given the complexity ... this is going to require both leaders to weigh in with each other,” he said. “They have a good relationship, and I am confident that the Chinese will come to the table when President Trump makes his preferences known.”
The US-China agreement to dial back triple-digit tariffs for 90 days prompted a massive relief rally in global stocks. But it did nothing to address the underlying reasons for Trump’s tariffs on Chinese goods, mainly longstanding US complaints about China’s state-dominated, export-driven economic model, leaving those issues for future talks.
Since the mid-May deal, the Trump administration has concentrated on tariff negotiations with other major trading partners, including India, Japan and the European Union. Trump last week threatened 50 percent tariffs on EU goods, only to delay that threat.

A US trade court on Wednesday
ruled that Trump overstepped his authority in imposing the bulk of his tariffs on imports from China and other countries under an emergency powers act. But less than 24 hours later, a federal appeals court reinstated the tariffs, saying it was pausing the trade court ruling to consider the government’s appeal. The appeals court ordered the plaintiffs to respond by June 5 and the administration to respond by June 9.
Bessent said earlier that some trading partners, including Japan, were negotiating in good faith and that he detected no changes in their postures as a result of the trade court ruling. Bessent said he would meet with a Japanese delegation on Friday in Washington.


At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

At least three dead as migrant boat capsizes off Greek island

  • An accident occurred when the vessel approached the migrants’ wooden boat
  • The search for survivors was continuing with four patrol boats

ATHENS: The bodies of three migrants were picked up in waters off the Greek island of Crete during a rescue effort involving a commercial ship, authorities said Friday.
Twenty migrants were rescued by the commercial vessel which was directed to the area on the orders of the Greek Search and Rescue Center.
According to Greek public broadcaster ERT, an accident occurred when the vessel approached the migrants’ wooden boat. As the passengers tried to climb up ladders into the vessel a sudden movement caused the small boat to capsize.
The search for survivors was continuing with four patrol boats, an aircraft, and two ships from the European border agency Frontex, a spokesperson for the Greek coast guard told AFP.
According to ERT, survivors said about 50 people were aboard the wooden boat.
A second boat carrying around forty migrants was spotted in the area, triggering another rescue operation.
For over a year, migrants have been attempting the perilous crossing from Libya to Crete, the gateway to the European Union.
According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), more than 16,770 people seeking asylum in the EU arrived in Crete in 2025.
Faced with the surge in arrivals, the conservative Greek government suspended the processing of asylum applications for three months last summer, particularly for those arriving from Libya.
UNHCR says 107 people died or went missing in Greek waters in 2025.