Djokovic to carry on without a coach after parting ways with Murray

Novak Djokovic hits a return during a training session at the Geneva Open tennis tournament on May 20, 2025 in Geneva, Switzerland. (Keystone via AP)
Short Url
Updated 21 May 2025
Follow

Djokovic to carry on without a coach after parting ways with Murray

  • The high-profile partnership with three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray lasted only six months
  • Djokovic is winless on clay this year after exiting the Monte Carlo Masters and Madrid Open with straight-sets losses

Novak Djokovic said he would carry on without a coach for now after parting ways with Andy Murray last week, as the Serbian prepares for his latest bid to win a record-extending 25th Grand Slam title at the French Open.
The high-profile partnership with three-time Grand Slam champion Murray lasted only six months but Djokovic said his respect for the Scot had only grown in that time.
“At the moment, I’m not in need of a coach. I don’t need to rush in any context. I feel comfortable with the people around me,” Djokovic told reporters on Tuesday, a day before facing Marton Fucsovics at the Geneva Open.
“In the next few tournaments, we’ll see what happens.”
Djokovic, 38, is winless on clay this year after exiting the Monte Carlo Masters and Madrid Open with straight-sets losses last month, and his form is a concern heading into Roland Garros, which kicks off on Sunday.
He had appointed fellow former world number one Murray ahead of this year’s Australian Open and said in February he would continue working with him for an indefinite period.
“We felt like we couldn’t get more out of that partnership on the court, and that’s all there is to it,” added Djokovic.
“My respect toward Andy remains the same, even more actually, I got to know him as a person.”


Lackluster Liverpool FC snatch late win at Forest

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Lackluster Liverpool FC snatch late win at Forest

  • The Reds stay in 6th place but are tied on points with Chelsea and Man Utd

LIVERPOOL: After having an 89th-minute goal disallowed following a VAR check, the Argentina midfielder scored again in the seventh minute of stoppage time — and this time it survived a video review — to earn Liverpool a 1-0 victory at Nottingham Forest in the Premier League on Sunday.

The dramatic end at the City Ground centered completely on Mac Allister, who thought he’d scored without knowing anything about it after turning his back on a clearance by Nottingham Forest defender Ola Aina.

The ball rebounded off Mac Allister and into the net, but the VAR spotted it had struck his arm and the goal was scrubbed out.

However, he was on hand off virtually the last kick of the game when Virgil van Dijk’s header was spilled by Forest goalkeeper Stefan Ortega. Barely six meters out, Mac Allister could hardly miss as he sidefooted the ball into the net.

There was a VAR check to see if Van Dijk was offside but the goal was given.

Liverpool stayed in sixth place but was tied on points with fourth-place Chelsea and fifth-place Manchester United, whose game in hand is at Everton on Monday.

Meanwhile, Sunderland lost its home comforts on Sunday. It wasn’t long ago that Sunderland were the only Premier League team with an unbeaten home record. Now, the Black Cats have lost two straight at the Stadium of Light.

Sunderland was defeated 3-1 by Fulham, which had two goals from Mexico striker Raul Jimenez — one of which was from the penalty spot.

Ten days ago, Sunderland lost 1-0 to Liverpool for its first home defeat of the season.

Also on Sunday, Palace won as doubts swirl around Oliver Glasner’s future.

Glasner’s team dug out a 1-0 win over last-place Wolverhampton thanks to a last-minute goal.

Evann Guessand prodded home a far-post finish after coming on as a substitute.

Ahead of the game, Glasner, who led Palace to FA Cup glory last season, was non-committal about whether he would be staying at the club until the end of the season. He has already said he’ll be leaving in the summer.

Wolves stayed 17 points off safety.