Vietnam says second round of trade talks started in Washington

Vietnam, which is a significant regional manufacturing base for many Western companies, recorded a trade surplus of over $123 billion with the US in 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 May 2025
Follow

Vietnam says second round of trade talks started in Washington

  • The second round of formal talks for a bilateral trade deal began on Monday and will run until May 22

HANOI: Vietnam and the United States have started a second round of trade negotiations in Washington, the Vietnamese government said on Tuesday as it seeks a deal to avoid a threatened 46 percent tariff rate that could weaken its export-driven growth model.

The second round of formal talks for a bilateral trade deal began on Monday and will run until May 22, the trade ministry said in a statement. The first round of talks was held earlier this month.

“The two countries had discussions on the overall approach to resolving fundamental issues of mutual concern and accelerating the negotiation process,” the ministry said.

“Vietnam and the US are also speaking about current policies as a basis for proceeding to next steps.”

Trade Minister Nguyen Hong Dien is leading the delegation, which includes representatives from sectors such as construction, agriculture and technology, as well as officials from the central bank and finance ministry.

Dien also met with his US counterpart Jamieson Greer in South Korea last week, following an APEC meeting.

The US has delayed the implementation of the 46 percent tariff on Vietnam until July, substituting it with a 10 percent rate. If enforced, the tariff could disrupt Vietnam’s growth, given its heavy reliance on exports to the US, its largest market.

Vietnam, which is a significant regional manufacturing base for many Western companies, recorded a trade surplus of over $123 billion with the US in 2024.

In a bid to reduce that surplus, Hanoi has implemented several measures, including curbing shipments of Chinese goods to the US via its territory and increasing its purchases of US goods.

Dien also held discussions on nuclear technology with US power company Westinghouse on Monday, the ministry said, after the government last year resumed plans to develop nuclear power plants.

Westinghouse did not immediately respond to a request for comment outside of US business hours.

In a separate statement, the finance ministry said state energy firm PetroVietnam planned to buy more crude oil from Exxon Mobil, while the country’s rubber and maritime corporations were both looking to establish US facilities.


Hundreds rally in Paris to support Ukraine after four years of war

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Hundreds rally in Paris to support Ukraine after four years of war

  • Demonstrators chanted: “We support Ukraine against Putin, who is killing it“
  • “Frozen Russian assets must be confiscated, they belong to Ukraine“

PARIS: Around one thousand took to the streets of Paris on Saturday to show their “massive support” for Ukraine, just days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion.
Demonstrators marching through the French capital chanted: “We support Ukraine against Putin, who is killing it,” and “Frozen Russian assets must be confiscated, they belong to Ukraine.”
“In public opinion, there is massive support for Ukraine that has not wavered since the first day of the full-scale invasion” by the Russian army on February 24, 2022, European Parliament member Raphael Glucksmann, told AFP.
“On the other hand, in the French political class, sounds of giving up are starting to emerge. On both the far left and the far right, voices of capitulation are getting louder and louder,” he added.
In the crowd, Irina Kryvosheia, a Ukrainian who arrived in France several years ago, “thanked with all her heart the people present.”
She said they reminded “everyone that what has been happening for four years is not normal, it is not right.”
Kryvosheia said she remains in daily contact with her parents in Kyiv, who told her how they were deprived “for several days” of heating, electricity and running water following intense bombardments by the Russian army.
Francois Grunewald, head of “Comite d’Aide Medicale Ukraine,” had just returned from a one-month mission in the country, where the humanitarian organization has delivered around forty generators since the beginning of the year.
Russia’s full-scale invasion sent shockwaves around the world and triggered the bloodiest and most destructive conflict in Europe since World War II.
The war has seen tens of thousands of civilians and hundreds of thousands of military personnel killed on both sides. Millions of refugees have fled Ukraine, where vast areas have been devastated by fighting.
Russia occupies nearly 20 percent of Ukrainian territory and its heavy attacks on the country’s energy sites have sparked a major energy crisis.