Rubio says NATO members will agree to 5 percent defense spending over next decade by June summit

Rubio made the comments while appearing on Fox News’ “Hannity.” (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 May 2025
Follow

Rubio says NATO members will agree to 5 percent defense spending over next decade by June summit

  • US President Donald Trump cut defense funding to NATO during the latter part of his first term

WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Thursday that all NATO members will have agreed on a goal of spending the equivalent to 5 percent of GDP on defense over the next decade by the 2025 NATO Summit in June.
He made the comments while appearing on Fox News’ “Hannity.”
US President Donald Trump cut defense funding to NATO during the latter part of his first term in 2017-21, and has frequently complained that the US is paying more than its fair share.
“I can tell you that we are headed for a summit in six weeks, in which virtually every member of NATO will be at or above 2 percent but more importantly, many of them will be over 4 percent and all will have agreed on the goal of reaching 5 percent over the next decade,” said Rubio.
German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul said this week that Berlin backed a demand by Trump for members of the defense alliance to increase defense spending to 5 percent of gross domestic product .
Germany in January said it met NATO’s target of spending 2 percent of its GDP on defense in 2024.
The 2025 NATO Summit will be held in the Netherlands from June 24-25.


Afghanistan says it has released 3 Pakistani soldiers captured during October cross-border fighting

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Afghanistan says it has released 3 Pakistani soldiers captured during October cross-border fighting

  • Tension between Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan has been high since deadly border clashes in October killed dozens of soldiers, civilians and suspected militants, and wounded hundreds more on both sides

KABUL, Afghanistan: Afghanistan has released three Pakistani soldiers who it had captured during cross-border fighting last October, its government spokesman said Tuesday.
Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement the three, who had been captured during fighting on Oct. 12, were turned over to a Saudi delegation that mediated between the two sides and had traveled to Kabul on Monday. He said the release was decided upon in light of the start of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting and reflection.
Tension between Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan has been high since deadly border clashes in October killed dozens of soldiers, civilians and suspected militants, and wounded hundreds more on both sides. The violence erupted after explosions in Kabul, the Afghan capital, on Oct. 9 that the Taliban government blamed on Pakistan and vowed to avenge.
The fighting was the worst between the neighbors in recent years. A ceasefire mediated by Qatar has since eased tension, although subsequent peace talks in Istanbul failed to produce a definitive agreement and relations remain strained.
There was no immediate comment from Pakistan on the release of the three soldiers.