Hundreds of ex-Daesh fighters face no prosecution in UK

More than 400 former Daesh fighters have returned to Britain without facing prosecution, a group of MPs and peers has warned. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 May 2025
Follow

Hundreds of ex-Daesh fighters face no prosecution in UK

  • Parliamentary committee calls for urgent action to ensure they face justice
  • ‘To date, no Daesh fighters have been prosecuted for international crimes in the UK and we find this unacceptable’

LONDON: More than 400 former Daesh fighters have returned to Britain without facing prosecution, a group of MPs and peers has warned, calling for legal changes to ensure those guilty of war crimes and genocide face justice in the UK.

Hundreds of British nationals over the past decade traveled to join Daesh, which once held vast swathes of territory across Syria and Iraq.

The terror group committed campaigns of murder and rape against minority groups such as the Yazidis.

Yet of the more than 400 former members of the group who have since returned to the UK, none have been prosecuted for their crimes, the Daily Telegraph reported on Tuesday.

The parliamentary joint committee on human rights raised the alarm over the lack of justice and called on the government to take urgent measures to address the issue.

Former Daesh fighters must face justice in the UK rather than in Syria and Iraq, the committee said.

Government ministers have previously argued that Daesh members should be investigated and prosecuted under local laws in Middle Eastern countries. But the committee said this is unlikely to happen in the countries where Daesh held territory.

“Where the UK has jurisdiction over international crimes, the UK should seek to investigate and prosecute such crimes,” a report by the committee said.

However, British courts face a “key barrier” when trying to deal with cases of war crimes and genocide because the accused must be UK nationals, residents or “subject to service personnel laws.”

This can be resolved by amending the Crime and Policing Bill now making its way through Parliament, the committee said.

Lord Alton, the committee’s chairman, said: “This is not something the UK can simply wash its hands of because it happened overseas. We know that British nationals committed the most horrendous crimes in Iraq and Syria under the Daesh regime and we have a duty to see them brought to justice.

“To date, no Daesh fighters have been successfully prosecuted for international crimes in the UK and we find this unacceptable.”

As well as prosecuting former Daesh fighters, the committee called for greater government transparency over the deprivation of citizenship.

The UK on a number of occasions has stripped British nationals of their citizenship because of ties to Daesh.

The case of Shamima Begum, who traveled to join Daesh aged 15, is the most prominent example.

More must also be done to repatriate children from camps in northeast Syria, the committee said.

Lord Alton highlighted the “deplorable” conditions in the camps, where the families of former Daesh fighters are detained.

“It is in the UK’s interest to ensure they do not become a new generation of the radicalized and they must be brought home,” he added.


Venezuela parliament unanimously approves amnesty law

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Venezuela parliament unanimously approves amnesty law

CARACAS: Venezuela’s National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a long-awaited amnesty law that could free hundreds of political prisoners jailed for being government detractors.
But the law excludes those who have been prosecuted or convicted of promoting military action against the country — which could include opposition leaders like Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Corina Machado, who has been accused by the ruling party of calling for international intervention like the one that ousted former president Nicolas Maduro.
The bill now goes before interim president Delcy Rodriguez, who pushed for the legislation under pressure from Washington, after she rose to power following Maduro’s capture during a US military raid on January 3.
The law is meant to apply retroactively to 1999 — including the coup against previous leader Hugo Chavez, the 2002 oil strike, and the 2024 riots against Maduro’s disputed reelection — giving hope to families that loved ones will finally come home.
Some fear, however, the law could be used by the government to pardon its own and selectively deny freedom to real prisoners of conscience.
Article 9 of the bill lists those excluded from amnesty as “persons who are being prosecuted or may be convicted for promoting, instigating, soliciting, invoking, favoring, facilitating, financing or participating in armed actions or the use of force against the people, sovereignty, and territorial integrity” of Venezuela “by foreign states, corporations or individuals.”
Venezuela’s National Assembly had delayed several sittings meant to pass the amnesty bill.
“The scope of the law must be restricted to victims of human rights violations and expressly exclude those accused of serious human rights violations and crimes against humanity, including state, paramilitary and non-state actors,” UN human rights experts said in a statement from Geneva Thursday.

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Venezuelans have been jailed in recent years over plots, real or imagined, to overthrow the government of Rodriguez’s predecessor and former boss Maduro, who was in the end toppled in the deadly US military raid.
Family members have reported torture, maltreatment and untreated health problems among the inmates.
The NGO Foro Penal says about 450 prisoners have been released since Maduro’s ouster, but more than 600 others remain behind bars.
Family members have been clamoring for their release for weeks, holding vigils outside prisons.
One small group, in the capital Caracas, staged a nearly weeklong hunger strike which ended Thursday.
“The National Assembly has the opportunity to show whether there truly is a genuine will for national reconciliation,” Foro Penal director Gonzalo Himiob wrote on X Thursday ahead of the vote.
On Wednesday, the chief of the US military command responsible for strikes on alleged drug smuggling boats off South America held talks in Caracas with Rodriguez and top ministers Vladimir Padrino  and Diosdado Cabello .
All three were staunch Maduro backers who for years echoed his “anti-imperialist” rhetoric.
Rodriguez’s interim government has been governing with US President Donald Trump’s consent, provided she grants access to Venezuela’s vast oil resources.