Morocco commutes sentence of detained former minister

The former human rights minister had been detained since 2022 and served a three-year term in a different case. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 08 May 2025
Follow

Morocco commutes sentence of detained former minister

  • Mohammed Ziane was convicted on ‘embezzlement and squandering of public funds’
  • His sentence has been commuted from five to three years

RABAT: A Moroccan court has commuted the prison sentence of opposition figure and former Minister Mohammed Ziane from five to three years, his lawyer said on Thursday.

The former human rights minister had been detained since 2022 and served a three-year term in a different case.

Ziane, 82, the former president of the Rabat Bar Association, was convicted on “embezzlement and squandering of public funds,” said his son and lawyer, Ali Reda Ziane.

The charges relate to funds the Moroccan Liberal Party, or PML — of which Ziane was founder and chief — received during a 2015 electoral campaign.

He was sentenced to five years in prison in July last year.

Even with the court reducing his sentence late Wednesday, “it remains heavy,” said his lawyer. 

“He deserves to be acquitted because there was no embezzlement.”

The lawyer said whether the sentences in the two cases would be served concurrently or consecutively remained unclear.

Proceedings in the initial case followed an Interior Ministry complaint on seven counts, among them contempt of public officials and the judiciary, defamation, adultery, and sexual harassment.

But Ziane has alleged that he was detained “because of (his political) opinion.”

The opposition figure had become known in recent years for statements criticizing the authorities in Morocco, particularly the intelligence services.


Sudan’s RSF says it took town on Chad border

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Sudan’s RSF says it took town on Chad border

  • RSF shared a video of some of its fighters celebrating under a banner reading “District of Al-Tina“
  • Since the fall of El-Fasher, the paramilitaries have carried out several operations near the Chad border

KHARTOUM: Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, locked in a conflict with the regular army, said Saturday that they had seized the town of Al-Tina on the Chad border.
Previously, the town was thought to have been held by the Joint Forces, allied to the army, which has been at war with the RSF since April 2023.
Alongside a statement posted to social media, the RSF shared a video of some of its fighters celebrating under a banner reading “District of Al-Tina.”
The army did not immediately comment, but the pro-army governor of Darfur, Minni Minnawi, denounced what he called “repeated criminal behavior embodying the worst offenses against the innocent.”
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering what the UN says is one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
On Thursday, the United Nations’ independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the RSF’s storming of Darfur hub El-Fasher last October bore “the hallmarks of genocide.”
Since the fall of El-Fasher, the paramilitaries have carried out several operations near the Chad border and at the end of last year two Chadian soldiers were killed.