Top South Korea court overturns not-guilty verdict of election frontrunner

South Korea’s main opposition Democratic Party’s former leader Lee Jae-myung celebrates during the party’s presidential candidate nomination convention. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 May 2025
Follow

Top South Korea court overturns not-guilty verdict of election frontrunner

  • The latest Gallup poll shows the 60-year-old Lee in a considerable lead with 38 percent of support while all his rivals are locked in single digits
  • The election was called in the wake of Yoon’s impeachment over the martial law attempt

SEOUL: South Korea’s Supreme Court on Thursday overturned a ruling that found a presidential frontrunner not guilty of violating election law, potentially scuppering Lee Jae-myung’s chances of running in the vote.
The June 3 election will decide who replaces impeached ex-president Yoon Suk Yeol, who was removed from office over his ill-fated declaration of martial law.
Former opposition leader Lee was cleared by a lower court in March of making false statements during a previous campaign, removing a major legal hurdle to his latest bid.
But the Supreme Court has now ordered a retrial that could see Lee, who is leading in the polls, barred from the election.
The top court ruled there had been a “legal misunderstanding” resulting in his acquittal.
Lee’s statements during his unsuccessful run for president in 2022 were “deemed false claims concerning matters of sufficient significance to mislead voters in assessing the candidate’s suitability for public office,” the court ruled.
“A candidate seeking public office cannot be granted the same scope and degree of freedom of expression as that afforded to ordinary citizens when they express opinions or beliefs on matters of public interest,” it said.
If found guilty by a lower court, Lee would be prevented from running for office for five years and could face a prison sentence or a fine of more than one million won ($700).
The latest Gallup poll shows the 60-year-old Lee in a considerable lead with 38 percent of support while all his rivals are locked in single digits.
The election was called in the wake of Yoon’s impeachment over the martial law attempt.
While Thursday’s verdict was a blow to Lee, political commentator and attorney Yoo Jung-hoon told AFP: “It usually takes about three months for a lower court to deliberate on a case remanded by the Supreme Court.
“It will be extremely difficult for the court to issue a ruling before the election.”
Even if the court does rule against Lee, he could still appeal, which would “buy him enough time to win,” Yoo said.
Aside from the election law violation case, Lee also faces a string of other trials on corruption allegations.
Should he win the presidency in June, these proceedings could be suspended under presidential immunity, and would resume once his term concludes.
Acting president Han Duk-soo meanwhile resigned on Thursday, hinting at a possible presidential bid.
“Two paths lay before me: one is to carry on in my current role, the other is to step down and take on a greater responsibility,” Han said in a farewell address.
The 75-year-old is expected to formally announce his candidacy on Friday.


France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

  • Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence

ALGIERS: France and Algeria agreed on Tuesday to restart security cooperation during a visit to Algiers by French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez, marking the first sign of a thaw in diplomatic ties.
After meeting with President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, Nunez said both sides had agreed to “reactivate a high-level security cooperation mechanism.”
The visit took place against a backdrop of thorny relations between France and its former colony, frayed since Paris in 2024 officially backed Moroccan sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara region, where Algeria supports the pro-independence Polisario Front.
Nunez said Monday had been devoted to working sessions aimed at “restoring normal security relations,” including cooperation in judicial matters, policing and intelligence.
He thanked the Algerian president for instructing his services to work with French authorities to “improve cooperation on readmissions.” Algeria has for months refused to take back its nationals living irregularly in France.
The renewed cooperation is expected to take effect “as quickly as possible” and continue “at a very high level,” Nunez confirmed.
According to images released by Algerian authorities, the talks brought together senior security officials from both countries, including France’s domestic intelligence chief and Algeria’s head of internal security.
Invited by his counterpart Said Sayoud, Nunez’s trip had been planned for months but repeatedly delayed.
Both sides have a backlog of issues to tackle. Before traveling, Nunez said he intended to raise “all security issues,” including drug trafficking and counterterrorism.
Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence.
Ahead of the trip, Nunez had also mentioned the case of Christophe Gleizes, a French sports journalist serving a seven-year sentence for “glorifying terrorism.”
It is unclear whether the matter was discussed with Tebboune, from whom the journalist’s family has requested a pardon.