Police kill nine militants in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province

Policeman stands guard in Quetta, Pakistan, on February 5, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 26 April 2025
Follow

Police kill nine militants in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province

  • The development follows a roadside blast in Balochistan that killed three paramilitary troops and injured four others in the Marget coalfield area
  • Balochistan, which borders Iran and Afghanistan, has been the site of a decades-long insurgency by Baloch separatists besides religiously motivated groups

QUETTA: Police in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province have killed nine suspected militants in an intelligence-based operation in the Pishin district, the provincial police’s counter-terrorism department (CTD) said on Saturday.
The militants belonging to the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed during a raid in Khanai Baba, a remote area of Pishin district located 55 kilometers from the provincial capital of Quetta, according to the CTD.
The TTP, which has been fighting with the Pakistani state since 2007, has stepped up its attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan provinces, following the Taliban’s takeover of Kabul in August 2021.
Islamabad has frequently accused Afghanistan of sheltering and supporting anti-Pakistan militant groups, including the TTP, that carry out cross-border attacks in Pakistan. Taliban authorities deny the allegation.
“The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) Balochistan carried out the raid in Pishin, killing nine terrorists of TTP after an exchange of fire,” the CTD said in a statement. “Explosives and arms were seized during the operation.”
The CTD said the slain militants had been involved in various militant activities in the province, without offering any evidence.
Pakistan has been battling twin insurgencies: one led my religiously motivated groups like the TTP, mainly in its Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, and the other by ethno-nationalist Baloch separatist groups in Balochistan.
The CTD raid followed a roadside blast in Balochistan that killed three paramilitary troops and injured four others in the Marget coalfield area near Quetta on Friday, a local administration official said.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but suspicion is likely to fall on ethnic Baloch separatist militants, who frequently target security forces, Chinese nationals, ethnic Punjabi commuters and laborers in the restive province.
The separatists accuse Islamabad of exploiting the province’s natural resources, such as gold and copper. Successive Pakistani governments have denied the allegations and said they only worked for the uplift of the region and its people.
Last month, the Baloch Liberation Army separatist group hijacked a train with hundreds of passengers aboard near Balochistan’s Bolan Pass, which resulted in the deaths of 23 soldiers, three railway employees and five passengers. At least 33 insurgents were also killed.
In a statement, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfaraz Bugti praised the CTD action against militants in Pishin.
“The intelligence-based operation averted a major tragedy in Balochistan,” he said. “The law enforcement agencies remain fully determined to completely eradicate terrorism from Pakistan.”


One dead, four injured as gas cylinder explosion triggers fire in Karachi building

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

One dead, four injured as gas cylinder explosion triggers fire in Karachi building

  • Fire triggered by gas cylinder explosion in Karachi’s Bismillah Residency in North Nazimabad area, say police
  • Many households in Pakistan rely on liquefied petroleum gas cylinders which are susceptible to gas explosions

ISLAMABAD: One person was killed while four others were injured in Pakistan’s southern port city of Karachi after a gas cylinder exploded, triggering a fire inside a residential building, police and rescue officials said on Sunday.

The fire was caused on Saturday night by a gas cylinder explosion at a flat in Bismillah Residency located in Karachi’s North Nazimabad area, Sindh Police said in a statement. Local media reports said the flat was located on the ninth floor of the high-rise building.

Rescue 1122 Sindh emergency service said its firefighters arrived shortly after the fire was reported and doused the flames on Sunday morning. It said all of the building’s occupants, except for the one person who was killed by the fire, were rescued.

“The child who died in the fire that broke out following a cylinder blast in a building has been identified as Burhan, son of Aoun, aged 15,” Rescue 1122 spokesperson said in a statement.

It said the injured included two women, one man and a four-year-old girl.

“All the injured were shifted to hospital after receiving immediate medical aid, and the rescue operation has been completed,” the spokesperson added.

This is the second such explosion to take place in Karachi in less than a week. At least 15 people were killed, including women and children, when a gas cylinder exploded in a residential building in the city’s Soldier Bazaar area on Thursday.

Most houses and apartment buildings in Karachi, like elsewhere in Pakistan, are supplied with natural gas for cooking. However, many households also rely on liquefied petroleum gas cylinders because of low natural gas pressure.

In July, a gas explosion following a wedding reception at a home in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad, killed eight people, including the bride and groom.

A massive fire at a popular shopping mall in Karachi last month killed over 70 people.