PM Sharif hopes Tehran punishes culprits who killed 8 Pakistanis in Iran

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif (right) chairs a meeting of the federal Cabinet in Islamabad on April 15, 2025. (PID)
Short Url
Updated 15 April 2025
Follow

PM Sharif hopes Tehran punishes culprits who killed 8 Pakistanis in Iran

  • Eight Pakistani nationals were killed in Iran’s Sistan-Baluchestan province on Saturday in attack claimed by separatists
  • Pakistan and Iran have both frequently blamed each other for failing to stamp out militancy in their shared, porous border

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Tuesday condemned the recent killing of eight Pakistani nationals in Iran, hoping Tehran would arrest the culprits and hand them stern punishments. 

The Pakistani nationals were killed in the Mehrestan County of Iran’s Sistan-Baluchestan province, which borders Pakistan, on Saturday. The attack was claimed by the Balochistan National Army (BNA), one of several separatist outfits operating in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province. 

Militant groups operate in the area that includes Pakistan’s Balochistan and Iran’s southeastern Sistan-Baluchestan province. Both countries trade blame for militancy in the regions that are restive, mineral-rich and largely underdeveloped. 

“The foreign minister [of Pakistan] has spoken to the foreign minister of Iran and I have also issued a statement,” Sharif told members of his cabinet during a meeting. 

“We should hope that the Irani government will immediately arrest and hand stern punishments to the killers,” he added. 

The Pakistani prime minister condemned the attack in strong words. 

As per media reports, the Pakistani nationals who were killed in the attack were auto mechanics. Thousands of Pakistanis, mostly from underprivileged backgrounds, regularly cross into Iran for informal work in industries such as auto repair, agriculture and construction. 

Balochistan has witnessed a low-level insurgency for nearly two decades. Baloch militant groups such as the BNA accuse the central government of exploiting local resources while neglecting the population.

Islamabad denies the allegations and says it is committed to regional development.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.