Trump says Russian strike on Ukraine ‘a horrible thing’

US President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media onboard Air Force One on a flight to Joint Base Andrews in Maryland on April 13, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 14 April 2025
Follow

Trump says Russian strike on Ukraine ‘a horrible thing’

  • “They made a mistake... you’re gonna ask them,” Trump told reporters without specifying who or what he meant
  • The Sumy strike came two days after US envoy Witkoff traveled to Russia to meet Putin and push Trump’s efforts to end the war

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Sunday said a Russian strike on the Ukrainian city of Sumy that killed at least 34 people was “a horrible thing.”
“I think it was terrible. And I was told they made a mistake. But I think it’s a horrible thing. I think the whole war is a horrible thing,” Trump told reporters on board Air Force One while headed back to Washington.
Asked to clarify what he meant by a “mistake,” Trump said that “they made a mistake... you’re gonna ask them” — without specifying who or what he meant.
The American leader’s National Security Council (NSC) had earlier Sunday called the Russian strike “a clear and stark reminder of why President Donald Trump’s efforts to try and end this terrible war comes at a crucial time.”

Neither Trump nor the White House named Moscow as the perpetrator of the attack, though Secretary of State Marco Rubio earlier offered condolences to the “victims of today’s horrifying Russian missile attack on Sumy.”
The Sumy strike came two days after US presidential envoy Steve Witkoff traveled to Russia to meet President Vladimir Putin and push Trump’s efforts to end the war.
Zelensky on Sunday urged the US president to visit his country to better understand the devastation wrought by Russia’s invasion.
“Please, before any kind of decisions, any kind of forms of negotiations, come to see people, civilians, warriors, hospitals, churches, children destroyed or dead,” the Ukrainian leader said in an interview broadcast on US network CBS.
 


Trump says Cuba, a ‘failed nation,’ should make a deal with US

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Trump says Cuba, a ‘failed nation,’ should make a deal with US

  • The island is facing major fuel shortages and blackouts as Trump intensifies the decades-long US embargo on the country and presses other countries to stop sending Havana oil

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE: President Donald Trump on Monday said Cuba was a “failed nation” and called on Havana to make a deal with the United States, though he dismissed mounting a regime change operation.
“Cuba is right now, a failed nation,” the US leader told reporters aboard Air Force One.
However, when asked if the United States would oust Cuba’s government, as Washington did when it raided Venezuela and captured president Nicolas Maduro, Trump said: “I don’t think that will be necessary.”
The island is facing major fuel shortages and blackouts as Trump intensifies the decades-long US embargo on the country and presses other countries to stop sending Havana oil.
“It’s a humanitarian threat,” Trump admitted of the fuel shortages biting the country.