UK accuses Israel of breaking international law in Gaza

Pro-Palestinian demonstrators hold placards as they gather in opposition to Israel reimposing its blockade of fuel and humanitarian aid to Gaza and U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to "take over" the territory, in London, Britain March 15, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 18 March 2025
Follow

UK accuses Israel of breaking international law in Gaza

  • Accusation is first of its kind from Britain since war broke out
  • Foreign Secretary David Lammy: ‘Lack of aid unacceptable, hugely alarming’

LONDON: UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy on Monday night said Israel had committed “a breach of international law” after it prevented aid from reaching Gaza over the past fortnight.

“Israel quite rightly must defend its own security. But we find the lack of aid — it’s now been 15 days since aid got into Gaza — unacceptable, hugely alarming and very worrying,” he said.

“We would urge Israel to get back to the amount of trucks we were seeing — way beyond 600 — so Palestinians can get the necessary humanitarian support that they need at this time.”

It is the first time since the outbreak of hostilities between Israel and Hamas on Oct. 7, 2023, that the UK has explicitly accused Israel of breaking international law. 

Lammy previously said Israel had “no excuse” for withholding humanitarian aid from entering Gaza, and last year suspended 30 arms export licenses to the country over concerns that they could be used to breach international law.

He also said the UK would cooperate “100 percent” with the International Criminal Court in November after it issued an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.


Suspects identified in killing of French far-right activist: source

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Suspects identified in killing of French far-right activist: source

  • Several suspects have been identified in an investigation into the death of a French far-right activist, including some linked to the “ultra-left movement,” a source following the case told AFP

PARIS: Several suspects have been identified in an investigation into the death of a French far-right activist, including some linked to the “ultra-left movement,” a source following the case told AFP on Tuesday.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died after sustaining a severe brain injury when he was attacked by at least six people last week on the sidelines of a far-right protest against a left-wing politician speaking at a university in the southeastern city of Lyon.
The suspects were not known to authorities as security threats, the source added.