59 dead in North Macedonia nightclub fire

This photograph shows a view of a burnt down nightclub inside which a fire broke out and killed 59 people in Kocani, a town some 100 kms east of the capital Skopje, on March 16, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 March 2025
Follow

59 dead in North Macedonia nightclub fire

SKOPJE: A fire tore through a nightclub in North Macedonia early Sunday, killing 59 people, apparently after on-stage fireworks set the place ablaze, authorities said, announcing arrest warrants for four people.

They said 155 injured people had been taken to hospitals across the country, 18 of them in critical condition. Some of the serious cases were to be taken to other European countries for treatment.

The blaze started in the Club Pulse in the eastern town of Kocani, as the place was packed with more than 1,000 mostly young fans attending a concert by a popular hip-hop duo called DNK.

“Initially we didn’t believe there was a fire. Then there was huge panic in the crowd and a stampede to get out,” one young woman told local media outside a hospital in the capital Skopje.

Fire crews and paramedics responded quickly and “tried to resuscitate people ... but it wasn’t enough,” said the woman, who was waiting outside for one of her friends, who was being treated for burns to his hand.

The fire was probably caused by the use of pyrotechnic devices “used for light effects at the concert,” said Interior Minister Pance Toskovski, who visited the scene with Prime Minister Hristijan Mickoski.

“Sparks caught the ceiling, which was made of easily flammable material, after which the fire rapidly spread across the whole discotheque, creating thick smoke,” Toskovski said.

The Interior Ministry announced that arrest warrants had been issued for four people in relation to the tragedy, and a criminal investigation opened.

“There are 59 persons deceased of which 35 are identified. Of the identified, 31 persons are from Kocani and four from Stip,” Toskovski said.

“The number of wounded, according to latest information up to noon, is 155 persons who are in hospitals across the country,” Toskovski said.

“Preparations are being made to transport people seriously injured in the fire in Kocani to top hospitals in several European countries,” the head of North Macedonia’s Crisis Center, Stojanche Angelov, said.

The head of the Kocani hospital, Kristina Serafimovska, told media that the patients being treated there were aged between 14 and 25.

“Seventy of the patients have burns and carbon monoxide poisoning,” she said.

One of the members of the DNK duo that had performed, Vladimir Blazev, had burns to his face and needed assistance breathing, his sister told local media outlets.

“This is a difficult and very sad day” for the country, Mickoski wrote on his Facebook account.

“The loss of so many young lives is irreparable, and the grief of their families, their loved ones and their friends is immeasurable,” he said.


France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

France, Algeria to resume security cooperation: minister

  • Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence

ALGIERS: France and Algeria agreed on Tuesday to restart security cooperation during a visit to Algiers by French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez, marking the first sign of a thaw in diplomatic ties.
After meeting with President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, Nunez said both sides had agreed to “reactivate a high-level security cooperation mechanism.”
The visit took place against a backdrop of thorny relations between France and its former colony, frayed since Paris in 2024 officially backed Moroccan sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara region, where Algeria supports the pro-independence Polisario Front.
Nunez said Monday had been devoted to working sessions aimed at “restoring normal security relations,” including cooperation in judicial matters, policing and intelligence.
He thanked the Algerian president for instructing his services to work with French authorities to “improve cooperation on readmissions.” Algeria has for months refused to take back its nationals living irregularly in France.
The renewed cooperation is expected to take effect “as quickly as possible” and continue “at a very high level,” Nunez confirmed.
According to images released by Algerian authorities, the talks brought together senior security officials from both countries, including France’s domestic intelligence chief and Algeria’s head of internal security.
Invited by his counterpart Said Sayoud, Nunez’s trip had been planned for months but repeatedly delayed.
Both sides have a backlog of issues to tackle. Before traveling, Nunez said he intended to raise “all security issues,” including drug trafficking and counterterrorism.
Algeria plays a key role in the latter, sharing borders with junta-led Niger and Mali, both gripped by terrorist violence.
Ahead of the trip, Nunez had also mentioned the case of Christophe Gleizes, a French sports journalist serving a seven-year sentence for “glorifying terrorism.”
It is unclear whether the matter was discussed with Tebboune, from whom the journalist’s family has requested a pardon.