Syrians in predominantly Druze city reject Israeli statements, affirm national unity

Demonstrators at Suwaida’s centraDemonstrators at Suwaida’s central Al-Karama Square in southern Syria hold placards affirming national unity, Feb. 25, 2025. (SANA)
Short Url
Updated 25 February 2025
Follow

Syrians in predominantly Druze city reject Israeli statements, affirm national unity

  • Demonstrators at Suwaida’s central Al-Karama Square say sovereignty should cover all Syria’s territory
  • They call on interim government to protest in international organizations

LONDON: Hundreds of Syrians took part in a mass demonstration on Tuesday in the southern city of Suwaida, affirming national unity and rejecting Israeli interference.

Demonstrators, primarily from trade unions and civil organizations, highlighted the importance of extending the state’s sovereignty over Syrian territory and defending it against external aggression, the official SANA news agency reported.

The demonstrators at Suwaida’s central Al-Karama Square urged the interim government to protest in international organizations against the Israeli statements that violate international norms.

On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israeli forces would continue to maintain their presence at the strategic summit of Mount Hermon, which Israel captured following the fall of Bashar Assad’s regime in December.

He also said that Israel demands the complete demilitarization of southern Syria, including the areas surrounding Suwaida, Daraa and Quneitra, and committed to “not tolerating any threat” to the Druze community.

Demonstrators in Suwaida, a predominantly Druze city, rejected the statements on Tuesday and called on national actors to oppose the Israeli plan. They said that Druze people remain an integral part of the Syrian national fabric and “do not need protection from anyone abroad.”


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.