Sweden jails man for joining Daesh, in first under new legislation

Policemen stand guard in Stockholm. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2025
Follow

Sweden jails man for joining Daesh, in first under new legislation

  • The case is the first conviction for “participation in a terrorist organization” under a law adopted by parliament in 2023

STOCKHOLM: A Swedish court on Friday sentenced a man to three years in jail for joining Daesh, the country’s first conviction since new legislation was introduced banning participation in a terrorist group.
The 22-year-old man was convicted of “participation in a terrorist organization,” as well as financing terrorism and three counts of foreign travel for terrorism purposes, the court said in a statement.
According to the court, all charges concerned Daesh, and the three trips were all to Somalia.

BACKHOME

Sweden has been adopting stricter anti-terror laws since 2017, after an Uzbek asylum seeker drove a truck down a busy shopping street in Stockholm, killing five people.

His sentence was set to three years and three months in prison.
The case is the first conviction for “participation in a terrorist organization” under a law adopted by parliament in 2023.
Sweden had been adopting stricter anti-terror laws since 2017, after an Uzbek asylum seeker — who had sworn allegiance to Daesh — drove a truck down a busy shopping street in Stockholm, killing five people.
However, the legislation on participation in a terrorist group required the country first to amend its constitution as it was deemed to infringe on Sweden’s freedom of association laws.
The adoption of the bill also came as Turkiye was holding up Sweden’s bid to join NATO — with Ankara demanding that Sweden crack down on extremist groups.
After Russia invaded Ukraine, Sweden ended two centuries of military non-alignment and applied to join the alliance in May 2022 — eventually joining in March 2024.

 


After nearly 7 weeks and many rumors, Bolivia’s ex-leader reappears in his stronghold

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

After nearly 7 weeks and many rumors, Bolivia’s ex-leader reappears in his stronghold

  • Morales was Bolivia’s first Indigenous president who served from 2006 until his fraught 2019 ouster and subsequent self-exile
  • He dismissed rumors fueled by local politicians and fanned by social media that he would try to flee the country

LA PAZ: Bolivia’s long-serving socialist former leader, Evo Morales, reappeared Thursday in his political stronghold of the tropics after almost seven weeks of unexplained absence, endorsing candidates for upcoming regional elections and quieting rumors he had fled the country in the wake of the US seizure of his ally, Venezuela’s ex-President Nicolás Maduro.
The weeks of hand-wringing over Morales’ fate showed how little the Andean country knows about what’s happening in the remote Chapare region, where the former president has spent the past year evading an arrest warrant on human trafficking charges, and how vulnerable it is to fears about US President Donald Trump’s potential future foreign escapades.
The media outlet of Morales’ coca-growing union, Radio Kawsachun Coca, released footage of Morales smiling in dark sunglasses as he arrived via tractor at a stadium in the central Bolivian town of Chimoré to address his supporters.
Morales, Bolivia’s first Indigenous president who served from 2006 until his fraught 2019 ouster and subsequent self-exile, explained that he had come down with chikungunya, a mosquito-borne ailment with no treatment that causes fever and severe joint pain, and suffered complications that “caught me by surprise.”
“Take care of yourselves against chikungunya — it is serious,” the 66-year-old Morales said, appearing markedly more frail than in past appearances.
He dismissed rumors fueled by local politicians and fanned by social media that he would try to flee the country, vowing to remain in Bolivia despite the threat of arrest under conservative President Rodrigo Paz, whose election last October ended nearly two decades of rule by Morales’ Movement Toward Socialism party.
“Some media said, ‘Evo is going to leave, Evo is going to flee.’ I said clearly: I am not going to leave. I will stay with the people to defend the homeland,” he said.
Paz’s revival of diplomatic ties with the US and recent efforts to bring back the Drug Enforcement Administration — some 17 years after Morales expelled American anti-drug agents from the Andean country while cozying up to China, Russia, Cuba and Iran — have rattled the coca-growing region that serves as Morales’ bastion of support.
Paz on Thursday confirmed that he would meet Trump in Miami on March 7 for a summit convening politically aligned Latin American leaders as the Trump administration seeks to counter Chinese influence and assert US dominance in the region.
Before proclaiming the candidates he would endorse in Bolivia’s municipal and regional elections next month, Morales launched into a lengthy speech reminiscent of his once-frequent diatribes against US imperialism.
“This is geopolitical propaganda on an international scale,” he said of Trump’s bid to revive the Monroe Doctrine from 1823 in order to reassert American dominance in the Western Hemisphere. “They want to eliminate every left-wing party in Latin America.”