Bahraini national security advisor and UK military chief discuss defense cooperation

Bahrain’s national security advisor, Sheikh Nasser bin Hamad Al-Khalifa, and Adm. Tony Radakin, the UK’s chief of defense staff. (BNA)
Short Url
Updated 12 February 2025
Follow

Bahraini national security advisor and UK military chief discuss defense cooperation

  • Sheikh Nasser bin Hamad Al-Khalifa highlights strong ties between the nations, especially defense and military cooperation
  • His talks with Adm. Tony Radakin, Britain’s chief of defense staff, cover long-term defense partnerships, regional security and stability, and counterterrorism efforts

LONDON: Bahrain’s national security advisor, Sheikh Nasser bin Hamad Al-Khalifa, met Adm. Tony Radakin, the UK’s chief of defense staff in London on Wednesday.

They discussed ways in which military cooperation between their countries might be enhanced, and the importance of long-term defense partnerships in efforts to ensure regional security and stability, the Bahrain News Agency reported.

Sheikh Nasser highlighted the existing strong ties between Bahrain and the UK, especially in terms of defense and military cooperation. He and Radakin addressed regional security challenges, focusing in particular on counterterrorism cooperation and maritime security in the Arabian Gulf region, and the need for joint military exercises and the coordination of multinational operations.

They also discussed the enhancement of Gulf security through maritime and air alliances, and aerial defense collaboration, the news agency added.


Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

  • Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message
ISTANBUL: Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message.
The message, posted by Erdogan’s team on X, said he had talked with Al Nahyan by phone.
“During the course of the call, President Erdogan expressed his sadness over the health problem experienced by (President) Al Nahyan and wished him a prompt recovery,” said the three-paragraph message.
Erdogan would travel to the United Arab Emirates at a later date, still to be determined, the message added.
Although the message — of which AFP has a screen grab — was quickly deleted from the account, it had already been picked up by official Turkish media.
Turkiye’s state broadcaster likewise took down its article on Erdogan that mentioned the Emirati leader’s health problem.
The official Emirati news agency, WAM, reported on the telephone conversation between the two leaders, but did not mention that Erdogan’s visit had been postponed.
Contacted by AFP, neither the Turkish presidency nor the Emirati authorities — who have themselves made no statement on their president’s health — have yet answered.
The Emirati leader’s team on Saturday evening released photos taken the same day showing Al Nahyan, known as MBZ, smiling and apparently in good health, with Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the emir of Qatar.