Congolese, Rwandan presidents join summit amid rising tension

Demonstrators wrapped in Congolese national flags take part in a protest in front of the Embassy of Rwanda in Brussels, on February 8, 2025, against Rwandan-backed armed group M23 offensives in eastern DR Congo that has left thousands dead and displaced. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2025
Follow

Congolese, Rwandan presidents join summit amid rising tension

  • Rwanda-backed M23 armed group has rapidly seized swathes of territory in the mineral-rich eastern DRC
  • The group took the strategic city of Goma last week and is pushing into the neighboring South Kivu province

DAR ES SALAAM: Leaders at an unprecedented joint summit of Eastern and Southern African regional blocs stressed on Saturday the urgency of finding a way out of the crisis in eastern Congo, where Rwanda-backed rebels’ rapid advance has fanned fears of a wider war.
In late January, the M23 rebels captured Goma, the largest city in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo — the worst escalation of fighting in more than a decade that has left thousands dead. Despite announcing a unilateral ceasefire, they have continued to march south toward Bukavu.
“We must resist the temptation to think that we can somehow shoot or bombard our way to a solution,” said Kenyan President William Ruto at the opening ceremony.

History will judge us harshly if we remain still and watch the situation worsen, day by day.

Samia Suluhu Hassan, Tanzanian president

He and others called for concrete results from the talks in Dar es Salaam, which were attended by eight heads of state, including Rwanda’s Paul Kagame. Congo’s Felix Tshisekedi joined via video link.
“History will judge us harshly if we remain still and watch the situation worsen, day by day,” said Tanzanian President Samia Suluhu Hassan.
The first-ever summit of both Eastern and Southern African blocs points to the continents’ deep concern over the crisis and the standoff between Congo and neighboring Rwanda, which denies allegations it is fueling the conflict with its troops and weapons.
The two groupings have, so far, been broadly divided over the conflict, with the eastern bloc closer to Rwanda’s call for dialogue and southern countries backing Congo and angry over the deaths of peacekeepers, experts and diplomats said.
This fault line makes it “difficult to be optimistic” about the summit, said Stephanie Wolters, Senior Research fellow at the South African Institute of International Affairs.
Leaders must push Kinshasa to rethink its refusal to talk directly to the M23 while clearly calling out Rwandan support for the rebels and demanding this end immediately, she said.
Over the past month, M23’s lightning advances have expanded its control over North Kivu province’s lucrative coltan, gold, and tin ore mines, uprooting thousands in what was already one of the world’s most dire humanitarian crises.
Aid groups have been helping to relieve overwhelmed hospitals as health workers race against time to bury the bodies of at least 2,000 people killed in the battle for Goma amid concerns of disease spreading.
Prosecutors at the International Criminal Court say they are closely monitoring the bloodshed, where reports are emerging of rape, gang rape, and sexual slavery, according to the UN human rights office.
Ahead of the summit, the US warned of possible sanctions against Rwandan and Congolese officials, further raising the stakes for finding a solution to a conflict that is rooted in the long fallout from the 1994 Rwandan genocide and the struggle for control of Congo’s mineral resources.
The well-equipped M23 is the latest in a long line of ethnic Tutsi-led rebel movements to emerge in Congo’s volatile east. Congo’s government says it is a Rwandan proxy, which the rebel group denies.
Rwanda rejects accusations that thousands of its troops are fighting alongside M23.
But it says it is defending itself against the threat from a Hutu-led militia, which it says is fighting alongside the Congolese military.

 


Bangladesh’s Yunus announces resignation, end of interim govt

Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus stepped down on February 16, 2026 in a farewell broadcast to the nation.
Updated 32 min 23 sec ago
Follow

Bangladesh’s Yunus announces resignation, end of interim govt

  • Yunus handed over power after congratulating the Bangladesh Nationalist Party and its leader Tarique Rahman

DHAKA: Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus stepped down on Monday in a farewell broadcast to the nation before handing over to an elected government.
“Today, the interim government is stepping down,” the 85-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner said.
“But let the practice of democracy, freedom of speech, and fundamental rights that has begun not be halted.”
Yunus returned from self-imposed exile in August 2024, days after the iron-fisted government of Sheikh Hasina was overthrown by a student-led uprising and she fled by helicopter to India.
“That was the day of great liberation,” he said. “What a day of joy it was! Bangladeshis across the world shed tears of happiness. The youth of our country freed it from the grip of a demon.”
He has led Bangladesh as its “chief adviser” since, and now hands over power after congratulating the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its leader Tarique Rahman on a “landslide victory” in elections last week.
“The people, voters, political parties, and stakeholder institutions linked to the election have set a commendable example,” Yunus said.
“This election has set a benchmark for future elections.”
Rahman, 60, chief of the BNP and scion of one of the country’s most powerful political dynasties, will lead the South Asian nation of 170 million.
‘Rebuilt institutions’
Bangladeshi voters endorsed sweeping democratic reforms in a national referendum, a key pillar of Yunus’s post-uprising transition agenda, on the same day as the elections.
The lengthy document, known as the “July Charter” after the month when the uprising that toppled Hasina began, proposes term limits for prime ministers, the creation of an upper house of parliament, stronger presidential powers and greater judicial independence.
“We did not start from zero — we started from a deficit,” he said.
“Sweeping away the ruins, we rebuilt institutions and set the course for reforms.”
The referendum noted that approval would make the charter “binding on the parties that win” the election, obliging them to endorse it.
However, several parties raised questions before the vote, and the reforms will still require ratification by the new parliament.
The BNP alliance won 212 seats, compared with 77 for the Jamaat-e-Islami-led alliance, according to the Election Commission.
Jamaat chief Shafiqur Rahman conceded on Saturday, saying his party would “serve as a vigilant, principled, and peaceful opposition.”
Newly elected lawmakers are expected to be sworn in on Tuesday, after which Tarique Rahman is set to become Bangladesh’s next prime minister.
Police records show that political clashes during the campaign period killed five people and injured more than 600.
However, despite weeks of turbulence ahead of the polls, voting day passed without major unrest and the country has responded to the results with relative calm.