Syria writers urge new leaders to respect public freedoms

People sit in the Rawda caffe in the centre of the Syrian capital Damascus on January 29, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 January 2025
Follow

Syria writers urge new leaders to respect public freedoms

  • Syria’s new rulers have called on the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces to hand over their weapons, rejecting demands for any self-rule

DAMASCUS: Dozens of Syrian writers, artists, and academics signed a petition posted online on Friday calling for the respect of public freedoms after the overthrow of Bashar Assad in December.
The publication of the petition came two days after the leader of the militant offensive that toppled Assad, Ahmad Al-Sharaa, was named interim president.
“We call for the restoration of fundamental public freedoms, foremost among them the freedoms of assembly, protest, expression and belief,” the petition said.
“The state must neither impose nor interfere in people’s customs regarding food, drink, clothing, or other aspects of daily life,” it added, alluding to fears that the new authorities might impose religious law.
Al-Sharaa promised on Thursday to hold a “national dialogue conference” to help shape a “constitutional declaration” that will serve as a “legal reference” during the country’s transition.

BACKGROUND

Ahmad Al-Sharaa promised on Thursday to hold a ‘ national dialogue conference’ to help shape a ‘constitutional declaration’ that will serve as a ‘legal reference’ during the country’s transition.

The signatories called for “the election of a constituent assembly under a fair electoral law and adopting a new constitution that guarantees freedom and dignity for all citizens, men and women alike.”
Among the signatories were award-winning filmmaker Waad Al-Kateab and Mustafa Khalifa, author of “The Shell,” an autobiographical account of an activist imprisoned for years.
Since Assad’s overthrow, deadly fighting has continued in northern Syria between militants and forces loyal to a Kurdish-led administration in the northeast.
The petition called for a “just resolution to the Kurdish question” that “must uphold the legitimate cultural, linguistic, and political rights of our Kurdish citizens within a mutually agreed framework of administrative decentralization.”
Syria’s new rulers have called on the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces to hand over their weapons, rejecting demands for any self-rule.
During more than half a century of rule by the Assad family, public displays of dissent were savagely repressed.
After Bashar Assad succeeded his father, Hafez, in June 2000, there was a period of greater openness, but it was short-lived.
Al-Sharaa, in his speech on Thursday, said he would form a small legislative body to fill the parliamentary void until new elections were held after the Syrian parliament was dissolved on Wednesday.
He said he would also, in the coming days, announce the formation of a committee that would prepare to hold a national dialogue conference that would be a platform for Syrians to discuss the future political program of the nation.
That would be followed by a “constitutional declaration,” he said, in an apparent reference to drafting a new Syrian constitution.
Al-Sharaa has previously said that drafting a new constitution and holding elections may take up to four years.

 


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 8 min 41 sec ago
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.