Trump rethinking next week’s planned immigration raids, report says

This image released by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) shows a Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) officer guarding suspected illegal aliens on August 7, 2019. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 19 January 2025
Follow

Trump rethinking next week’s planned immigration raids, report says

  • “President Trump has been clear from day one ... he’s going to secure the border and he’s going to have the deportation operation,” Homan told Fox News ahead of Trump’s inauguration on Monday

WASHINGTON: President-elect Donald Trump’s incoming administration is reconsidering plans for immigration raids in Chicago next week after details were leaked, Trump’s “border czar” Tom Homan told the Washington Post in an interview on Saturday.
The new administration “hasn’t made a decision yet,” said Homan, the former acting director of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to the report. “We’re looking at this leak and will make decision based on this leak,” he added.
ICE did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Officials and rights advocates had said Trump’s administration would launch sweeps in multiple US cities almost as soon as he takes office on Monday, with Chicago considered a likely first location.
Dulce Ortiz, president of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, told Reuters that as many as 200 ICE agents were expected to start raids in the Chicago area on Monday at 5 a.m., aiming to catch people heading into work or starting their day.
The enforcement had been expected to continue for several days, she said. An ICE spokesperson referred questions to the Trump transition team, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Reuters reported Friday that agents would also conduct raids in New York and Miami. The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that ICE would stage a week-long operation in Chicago with potentially hundreds of agents.
Trump said in an NBC News interview on Saturday that launching the mass deportations he promised in his election campaign would be a top priority. But he declined to identify the cities targeted or when deportations would start.
“It will begin very quickly,” said Trump. “We have to get the criminals out of our country.”
Homan himself had appeared to confirm the raids earlier on Saturday, telling Fox News that “targeted enforcement operations” would quickly pursue some of what he said were 700,000 migrants who are in the US illegally and under deportation orders. He indicated the efforts would occur in several cities.
“President Trump has been clear from day one ... he’s going to secure the border and he’s going to have the deportation operation,” Homan told Fox News ahead of Trump’s inauguration on Monday.
Homan said the agency had carefully planned the operation and identified specific individuals for enforcement.
“Every target for this operation is well-planned, and the whole team will be out there for officers’ safety reasons,” he said.
Asked how the detention operations would be received in so-called sanctuary cities, which have pledged not to use city resources for federal immigration raids, Homan said sanctuary city policies were “unfortunate.”
In the case of targeted individuals who are already in local jails, he said the cities’ stance creates a threat to public safety. Cities would “release that public safety threat back into the community....and force (ICE) officers into communities,” Homan said.
He urged public officials of those cities to assist in the deportation raids, but added, “We’re going to do this, with or without their help. They are not going to stop us.”
 

 


Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Kim Jong Un vows to boost living standards as he opens rare congress

  • North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to lift living standards as he opened a landmark congress, state media said Friday, offering a glimpse of economic strains within the sanctions-hit nation
SEOUL: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to lift living standards as he opened a landmark congress, state media said Friday, offering a glimpse of economic strains within the sanctions-hit nation.
Supreme Leader Kim took center stage with a speech to start the Workers’ Party congress, a gathering that directs state efforts on everything from house building to war planning.
Held just once every five years, the days-long congress offers a rare glimpse into the workings of a nation where even mundane details are shrouded in secrecy.
“Today, our party is faced with heavy and urgent historic tasks of boosting economic construction and the people’s standard of living and transforming all realms of state and social life as early as possible,” Kim said in his opening speech.
“This requires us to wage a more active and persistent struggle without allowing even a moment’s standstill or stagnation.”
For decades, nuclear weapons and military prowess came before everything else in North Korea, even as food stocks dried up and famine took hold.
But since assuming power in 2011, Kim has stressed the need to also fortify the impoverished nation’s economy.
At the last party congress in 2021, Kim made an extremely rare admission that mistakes had been made in “almost all areas” of economic development.
Analysts believe such language is designed to head off public discontent stirred by food shortages, military spending, and North Korea’s continued support for Russia’s war effort in Ukraine.
Kim said North Korea had overcome its “worst difficulties” in the last five years, and was now entering a new stage of “optimism and confidence in the future.”
North Korea’s economy has for years languished under heavy Western sanctions that aim to choke off funding for its nuclear weapons program.
But Pyongyang refuses to surrender its atomic arsenal.
Kim has already declared this year’s congress will unveil the next phase in the nation’s nuclear weapons program.
Ruling dynasty
Thousands of party elites packed the cavernous House of Culture in Pyongyang for the opening day of the congress.
It is just the ninth time the Workers’ Party congress has convened under the Kim family’s decades-long rule.
The meeting was shelved under Kim’s father Kim Jong Il, but was revived in 2016.
Kim Jong Un has spent years stoking his cult of personality in reclusive North Korea, and the congress offers another chance to demonstrate his absolute grip on power.
Footage showed Kim stepping out of a black limousine and striding into the meeting flanked by officials.
Delegates broke into hearty applause as he took his place at the center of the imposing rostrum overlooking proceedings.
Analysts will scour photographs to see which officials are seated closest to Kim, and who is banished to the back row.
Particular attention will be placed on the whereabouts of Kim’s teenage daughter Ju Ae, who has emerged as North Korea’s heir apparent, according to Seoul’s national intelligence service.
’Biggest enemy’
The ruling parties of China and Russia — North Korea’s longtime allies — sent friendly messages to mark the start of the meeting.
“In recent years, under the strategic guidance of the top leaders of the two parties and two countries, China-DPRK relations have entered a new historical period,” said a telegram from the Chinese Communist Party, using the official acronym for North Korea.
Kim appeared alongside China’s Xi Jinping and Russia’s Vladimir Putin at a military parade in Beijing last year — a striking display of his elevated status in global politics.
At the previous congress five years ago, Kim declared that the United States was his nation’s “biggest enemy.”
There is keen interest in whether Kim might use the congress to soften this stance, or double down.
US President Donald Trump stepped up his courtship of Kim during a tour of Asia last year, saying he was “100 percent” open to a meeting.
Kim has so far largely shunned efforts to resume top-level diplomatic dialogue.