Djokovic plans to keep playing for ‘years to come’

Serbian Novak Djokovic attends a training session before the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on December 28, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 December 2024
Follow

Djokovic plans to keep playing for ‘years to come’

  • The 24-time Grand Slam champion is beginning a season for the first time without any of the other so-called “Big Four”

Brisbane: Novak Djokovic said Sunday he planned to keep playing for “years to come” — with more tournaments on his schedule in 2025 — as he looks to take down the new guard led by Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alzaraz.
The 37-year-old had a disappointing campaign last year by his standards, failing to win a Grand Slam and claiming just one title — Olympic gold in Paris.
He has slipped to number seven in the world and said he wanted to get his ranking back to “where it should be.”
“I’m looking for a good start to the season, I’m looking for more consistency across all the tournaments,” he said as he prepared to play at the Brisbane International this week.
“I’m looking to play more tournaments this year than I played last season, so hopefully also my level is going to go up.
“Hopefully I will win a few more tournaments and my ranking will go up to where it should be.”
The 24-time Grand Slam champion is beginning a season for the first time without any of the other so-called “Big Four” on the other side of the net following the retirements this year of Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray.
Roger Federer called it quits in 2022.
As they faded, Sinner and Alcaraz stepped up to become the new Grand Slam kings.
Djokovic, who is targeting an 11th Australian Open title next month and a record 25th Grand Slam crown, said he had no thoughts of retirement despite turning 38 in May.
“The way I’m feeling today, I still think that I can go strong for years to come,” he said.
“But how long I’m going to feel motivated to keep going is unpredictable.
“I still love this sport and I still love competing.”
The Serb, the top seed, starts his campaign against Australian wildcard Rinky Hijikata in what will be his first official tournament since losing to Sinner in the final of the 2024 Shanghai Masters in October.
Djokovic will also play doubles alongside Nick Kyrgios, who is making a competitive return after playing just one ATP Tour singles match in two years following knee, foot and wrist injuries.


Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

  • Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”