Saudi Arabia conclude preparations for 26th Gulf Cup

1 / 4
The Saudi national football team on Friday completed its preparatory training camp in Riyadh ahead of the start of the 26th Gulf Cup, set to take place in Kuwait from Saturday to Jan. 3 next year. (SAFF)
2 / 4
The Saudi national football team on Friday completed its preparatory training camp in Riyadh ahead of the start of the 26th Gulf Cup, set to take place in Kuwait from Saturday to Jan. 3 next year. (SAFF)
3 / 4
The Saudi national football team on Friday completed its preparatory training camp in Riyadh ahead of the start of the 26th Gulf Cup, set to take place in Kuwait from Saturday to Jan. 3 next year. (SAFF)
4 / 4
The Saudi national football team on Friday completed its preparatory training camp in Riyadh ahead of the start of the 26th Gulf Cup, set to take place in Kuwait from Saturday to Jan. 3 next year. (SAFF)
Short Url
Updated 20 December 2024
Follow

Saudi Arabia conclude preparations for 26th Gulf Cup

  • The camp, which ran from Dec. 12 to Friday, put the Green Falcons through an intensive training program under the guidance of head coach Herve Renard

RIYADH: The Saudi national football team on Friday completed its preparatory training camp in Riyadh ahead of the start of the 26th Gulf Cup, set to take place in Kuwait from Saturday to Jan. 3 next year.

The camp, which ran from Dec. 12 to Friday, put the Green Falcons through an intensive training program under the guidance of head coach Herve Renard.

The final training session, held at Al-Shabab Club Stadium, included warm-up drills, possession exercises, and a mini-game played on half the pitch.

Star player Salem Al-Dawsari, who is returning from injury, participated in the warm-up exercises alongside his teammates and underwent additional specialized training with the fitness coach to fine-tune his readiness for the tournament.

Following the training session, the Saudi delegation departed for Kuwait.

Head coach Renard will hold a press conference on Saturday at the tournament’s media center at the Crown Plaza Hotel, where he will outline the team’s strategy and expectations ahead of their opening match against Bahrain on Sunday.

Saudi Arabia have won the Gulf Cup on three occasions — with the first title in 1994 and the last win coming in 2004 — and have been on the losing side of four finals since 2009.


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”