Montpellier suspend Haouas after latest brush with the law

International prop Mohamed Haouas, who will be tried on February 4 for drunk driving, has been suspended indefinitely, his club Montpellier announced on Tuesday. (X/@lequipe)
Short Url
Updated 11 December 2024
Follow

Montpellier suspend Haouas after latest brush with the law

  • Caudullo said he and the club’s director of rugby Bernard Laporte met with the player on Monday
  • Haouas was arrested on Sunday and then taken into police custody in Montpellier for drunk driving

MARSEILLE: International prop Mohamed Haouas, who will be tried on February 4 for drunk driving, has been suspended indefinitely, his club Montpellier announced on Tuesday.
“He disappointed us with his behavior. For me, it was important to sanction him. There is a precautionary suspension. We will see how it goes afterwards,” said manager Joan Caudullo.
Caudullo said he and the club’s director of rugby Bernard Laporte met with the player on Monday.
Haouas was arrested on Sunday and then taken into police custody in Montpellier for drunk driving. His case will be heard on February 4, 2025.
The 30-year-old has 16 international caps.
He started for the first time this season for Montpellier last week against Newport in the Challenge Cup. He will miss the game against another Welsh team this weekend.
“He will not play this match. He will not train until further notice. He will also be financially sanctioned. We cannot allow this type of behavior to happen in our club, and we have other fish to fry,” said Caudullo.
Haouas started his career at Montpellier but left in 2023 for Biarritz after a series of brushes with the law.
In May 2023 he was handed a one-year suspended sentence for hitting his wife. The following month, he was found guilty in a case that stemmed from a fight in a Montpellier bakery in 2014. He has appealed the verdict. He also received a suspended sentenced in February 2022, for burglaries of tobacco shops in Montpellier in 2014.
He was taken back by Montpellier after his year in the Basque country but owner Moed Al trad made clear his stay at the club was conditional on “exemplary behavior.”
Haouas had started discussions to extend his contract but his future is now in Al trad’s hands.
“He will tell us what to do,” said Caudullo. “He is the one who brought him back to the club and gave him this second chance. It is important to have his opinion.”
Montpellier, who won their first French title in 2022, escaped relegation in June in a playoff and are ninth in the Top 14 this season.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.