ATHENS: Greek football powerhouse Olympiacos on Wednesday slammed a probe targeting their top management in connection with the death of a riot policeman at the hands of hooligans last year.
Judicial authorities have called owner and president Evangelos Marinakis to appear next week to answer to possible misdemeanour charges of supporting a criminal organization and fomenting sports violence.
“This latest development... is yet another attempt to blackmail Olympiacos FC, aiming to undermine both the Olympiacos family and its President,” the club, which is also active across several sports besides football, said in a statement.
“It follows the unjust collective targeting of our fans,” it added, which it said was “fueled by specific political and business interests.”
In December 2023 riot officer Yiorgos Lyggeridis was fatally injured by a marine flare fired outside a sports hall during an Olympiacos-Panathinaikos volleyball match near Piraeus.
The 31-year-old died in hospital and stadiums across the country were closed for several weeks as a result of the incident.
More than a dozen people, reportedly hard-line Olympiacos fans, were subsequently placed in pre-trial detention as part of the investigation.
Several of those held are said to be senior members of Gate 7, Olympiacos’s main supporters’ club, and authorities suspect they could not have operated without the knowledge of club officials.
Besides Marinakis, four other members of the club board including Piraeus mayor Yiannis Moralis have been called to appear on Tuesday, where the authorities will decide whether to formalize the charges facing them.
Olympiacos on Wednesday said Marinakis, a shipping and media magnate who is also a majority owner of Premier League side Nottingham Forest and Portugal’s Rio Ave, has a “clear conscience,” “cannot be intimidated and will not back down.”
Piraeus mayor Moralis has also denied any involvement.
Greece’s Olympiacos hits out at police death probe
https://arab.news/pw8xj
Greece’s Olympiacos hits out at police death probe
- “This latest development... is yet another attempt to blackmail Olympiacos FC, aiming to undermine both the Olympiacos family and its President,” the club said
- “It follows the unjust collective targeting of our fans“
Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout
- It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh
COLOMBO: Sahibzada Farhan hit a magnificent unbeaten century to help Pakistan seal the final Super Eight berth at the T20 World Cup with a thumping 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.
Farhan scored 100 not out off 58 balls with four sixes and 10 fours as Pakistan posted 199-3 before they routed Namibia for 97 in 17.3 overs.
Pakistan’s victory took them to six points from four games in Group A and eliminated the United States, who finished with four points.
India also have six points and play the Netherlands in the group’s final game later Wednesday.
The defending champions India, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the West Indies will play each other in the Super eights Group 1, hosted in India.
Pakistan join New Zealand, England and co-hosts Sri Lanka in Group 2, hosted in Sri Lanka.
After a morale-shattering 61-run defeat against India, Pakistan needed a victory to avoid an early exit, which was achieved with ease as spinners Usman Tariq (4-16) and Shadab Khan (3-19) tore through the Namibia batting.
Louren Steenkamp scored 23 while Alexander Busing-Volschenk was the only other batsman to reach double figures with 20.
‘Complete performance’
Skipper Salman Agha praised a clinical show.
“It is a complete performance,” said a relieved Agha.
“We batted well and Farhan anchored the innings. He has been batting well for a while and I am happy that he got his hundred.
“With the ball we were lethal.”
Namibian skipper Gerhard Erasmus admitted Pakistan’s spin bowlers were too hot to handle.
“It (spin) is a special skill to have, to turn the ball both ways like they do,” said Erasmus.
“I think that’s one of the things we’ll definitely take home and look to improve on.”
Farhan earlier blasted a six and a four off pace bowler Jack Brassell to enter the 90s before taking a single off Gerhard Erasmus to complete his hundred in the final over.
It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh.
Shadab Khan, promoted to No. 5 with Babar Azam left out, hit three sixes and a four in his 36 not out off 22 balls as Pakistan smashed 42 from the last three overs.
Farhan put on 40 for the opening wicket with Saim Ayub (14) before consolidating the innings during a 67-run second wicket stand with captain Salman Agha (38).
Pakistan also left out pace bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi after a poor show in the first three matches, including conceding 31 in two overs in the defeat against India on Sunday.
Farhan’s ton means this is the first T20 World Cup in which three centuries have been scored.
He followed Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka, who scored a hundred against Australia on Monday, and Canada’s Yuvraj Sama who reached three figures against New Zealand on Tuesday.










