Abandoned plane that crash-landed in Karachi in 2011 embarks on unusual road trip

An abondoned AMC Airlines plane is pictured in Karachi, Pakistan, on November 19, 2024. (Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority)
Short Url
Updated 20 November 2024
Follow

Abandoned plane that crash-landed in Karachi in 2011 embarks on unusual road trip

  • AMC Airlines flight SU-BOZ, carrying 74 passengers from Saudi Arabia to Pakistan, was forced to land in Karachi in 2011
  • Plane, abandoned by airline, will now be used at Civil Aviation Training Institute in Hyderabad for teaching purposes

KARACHI: An abandoned aircraft that crash-landed at Karachi’s Jinnah International Airport in 2011 began an unusual journey by road to Hyderabad today, Wednesday, where it will be used for teaching purposes at an aviation institute, a spokesman for the Pakistan Airports Authority (PAA) said on Tuesday.

The PAA plans to transport the 40-ton aircraft from the port city of Karachi, via the National Highway, to the Civil Aviation Training Institute (CATI) in the southern Pakistani city of Hyderabad. On its journey, the plane will pass through several densely populated areas of Karachi, the country’s largest and most populated city, including Steel Town and Bin Qasim Town.

“The aircraft is set to be transferred from Karachi to the Civil Aviation Training Institute (CATI) in Hyderabad for aviation training,” PAA spokesperson Saifullah said, with the journey set to begin at 4am PST.

The MD-83 aircraft, registered as SU-BOZ, was taking 74 passengers from Tabuk city in Saudi Arabia to the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta when it made the emergency landing in Karachi on Dec. 25, 2011.

Footage of the plane’s landing, widely shared on social media, shows the AMC Airlines flight touching down at Jinnah International Airport without its nose gear deployed. Smoke billowed from the plane as it skidded along the runway.

Despite multiple attempts, the nose landing gear failed to deploy, forcing the pilot to land the plane on its belly. No injuries were reported.

The incident led to the closure of the Karachi airport runway for several hours.

“The aircraft was abandoned by the operating airlines and is now embarking on a new journey [to Hyderabad] for use for training purposes,” the PAA spokesperson added.

This is the second aircraft to be transported by road from Karachi to Hyderabad for training purposes in recent weeks.

Last month, the journey by road of a decommissioned Boeing 737 from Karachi to Hyderabad also caught the media spotlight in Pakistan.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.