Hospital chief decries ‘extreme catastrophe’ in north Gaza

Medics tend to two wounded boys at al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir Al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on November 19, 2024, follwoing an Israeli strike in Bureij, amid the ongoing war between the Palestinian Hamas militant group and Israel. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 19 November 2024
Follow

Hospital chief decries ‘extreme catastrophe’ in north Gaza

  • Kamal Adwan Hospital director Hossam Abu Safiyeh told AFP by phone: “The situation in northern Gaza is that of an extreme catastrophe

GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories: The World Health Organization expressed grave concern on Tuesday for hospitals still partly operating in war-stricken northern Gaza, where one hospital director described the situation as an “extreme catastrophe.”
“We are very, very concerned, and it’s getting harder and harder to get the aid in. It’s getting harder and harder to get the specialist personnel in at a time when there is greater and greater need,” WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris told journalists in Geneva.
She said the organization was “particularly concerned about Kamal Adwan Hospital” in Beit Lahia, where Israeli forces launched an offensive against Hamas and other Palestinian militant groups last month.
Kamal Adwan Hospital director Hossam Abu Safiyeh told AFP by phone: “The situation in northern Gaza is that of an extreme catastrophe.
“We’re beginning to lose patients because we lack medical supplies and personnel,” he said.
Abu Safiyeh added that his hospital had been “targeted many times by the occupation forces, most recently” on Monday.
“A large number of children and elderly people continue to arrive suffering from malnutrition,” the doctor said.
He accused Israel of “blocking the entry of food, water, medical staff and materials destined for the north” of the Gaza Strip.
The WHO’s Harris estimated that between November 8 and 16, “four WHO missions we were trying to get up to go were denied.”
“There’s a lack of food and drinking water, shortage of medical supplies. There’s really only enough for two weeks at the very best,” she said.
A statement from COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry body responsible for civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, said Tuesday: “COGAT-led humanitarian efforts in the medical field continue.”
It said that on Monday, “1,000 blood units were transferred” to Al-Sahaba hospital in Gaza City, outside the area where Israel’s military operations are taking place.
In its latest update on the situation in northern Gaza, the UN humanitarian office OCHA said Tuesday that “access to the Kamal Adwan, Al Awda and Indonesian hospitals remains severely restricted amid severe shortages of medical supplies, fuel and blood units.”
 

 


Syria welcomes Canada’s decision to amend sanctions

Syria’s Central Bank governor, Abdulkader Husarieh. (SANA)
Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Syria welcomes Canada’s decision to amend sanctions

  • Husarieh said the decision could pave the way for Canadian participation in Syria’s reconstruction and infrastructure development

DAMSCUS: Syria’s Central Bank governor, Abdulkader Husarieh, commended the Canadian government’s decision to amend the sanctions imposed on Damascus under the Special Economic Measures Regulations, including the lifting of the comprehensive economic embargo in place since May 2011.
In a post published on his personal Facebook page, Husarieh described the move as an important milestone that reinforces the implementation of understandings reached during his recent visit to Canada.
He added that the amendment provides an opportunity to boost economic relations and activate cooperation between Canadian and Syrian banks and financial institutions.
Husarieh said the decision could pave the way for Canadian participation in Syria’s reconstruction and infrastructure development.
Meanwhile, the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the Turkish Red Crescent signed cooperation agreements on Friday to strengthen humanitarian efforts in Syria amid ongoing crises and economic hardship.
Syrian Arab Red Crescent President Hazem Bakleh met in Damascus with Alper Kucuk, the Turkish Red Crescent’s director general for international affairs and migration services, to discuss rising humanitarian needs and ways to enhance coordination in support of vulnerable communities.
According to a statement released by the Syrian organization, the agreement provides for expanding relief and service activities.
It includes support for the construction of a new Red Crescent branch headquarters in Idlib province and the launch of a project to distribute hot meals and bread in Damascus and Aleppo during the holy month of Ramadan.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent has sought to broaden partnerships with regional and international organizations in recent years to strengthen its operational capacity across multiple provinces, as the country continues to face economic strain and humanitarian challenges affecting large segments of the population.