Pakistani-led Canadian group Al-Nihang offers $358 million to acquire PIA

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) ATR aircraft arrives at the Islamabad International Airport in Islamabad on October 31, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 11 November 2024
Follow

Pakistani-led Canadian group Al-Nihang offers $358 million to acquire PIA

  • Plans to privatize national carrier hit a snag when bidding process last month attracted just one bid
  • Al-Nihang’s will be responsible for PIA’s existing liabilities of $896 million, retain all employees for 3 years

KARACHI: A business group in Canada led by a Pakistani expat has offered the Pakistan government around Rs100 billion ($358 million) to acquire its debt-ridden national carrier, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), a letter written by the group’s CEO earlier this month shows. 
Cash-strapped Pakistan was looking to offload a 51-100 percent stake in debt-ridden PIA to raise funds and reform state-owned enterprises as envisaged under a $7 billion International Monetary Fund program. The process, however, hit a snag last month when the final bidding round attracted just one bid of Rs10 billion ($36 million) for a 60 percent stake in the national flag carrier.
The offer letter by the Al-Nihang’s Group, dated Nov. 3, has been sent to the ministries of aviation, defense and privatization as well as the Establishment Division and the Planning Commission.
“I am writing to formally present an offer to acquire PIA at a valuation of PKR 100 billion in recognition of its invaluable role as Pakistan’s national carrier,” Al-Nihang’s CEO Faqir Muhammad M Ali said in the letter.
“Al-Nihang’s Group will acquire the full shareholding of PIA in accordance with the terms outlined in the tender proposal, assuming comprehensive ownership.”
Among proposed acquisition conditions, the group will be responsible for PIA’s existing liabilities, amounting to approximately Rs250 billion ($896 million), and ensure all outstanding payments. It would also retain all current PIA employees for a period of 2-3 years and commit to continue paying salaries and benefits.
There has been no comment as yet from Pakistani authorities regarding the offer.
Little information could be found online about Al-Nihang’s group, but the website of the group’s CEO said he served as a magistrate in Jhang from 1992 to 1994, and was the youngest nominated senator in 1996. Since then, he has worked in the UK and Canada, where he helped negotiate an airline treaty between Pakistan and Canada and also served as the president of the Pakistan Canada Association of Hamilton, according to the website.
The government had pre-qualified six groups for PIA’s privatization process in June, but only real-estate development company Blue World City participated in the bidding process last month, placing a bid that was below the government-set minimum price of Rs85 billion ($304 million). 
The disposal of PIA is a step former governments have steered away from, as it has been highly unpopular given the number of layoffs that would likely result from it.
Other concerns raised by potential bidders for the PIA stake included inconsistent government communication, unattractive terms and taxes on the sector, and the flag carrier’s legacy issues and reputation.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”