‘Race that stops a nation’: Buckaroo, Vauban favorites for Melbourne Cup

Irish jockey David Casey rides the race’s joint-favorite Vauban during early morning trackwork at Werribee Racing Club in Werribee, a suburb of Melbourne as they prepare for the upcoming Melbourne Cup horse race. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 November 2024
Follow

‘Race that stops a nation’: Buckaroo, Vauban favorites for Melbourne Cup

  • With Aus$8 million ($5.25 million) at stake, the winner of the 24-strong field will bank Aus$4.4 million and instantly become a household name in Australia
  • Four women jockeys are in the race, more than ever before

MELBOURNE: Buckaroo and Vauban head into Tuesday’s Melbourne Cup as joint favorites in Australia’s “race that stops a nation,” where there will be a record four women jockeys.

First run in 1861, the punishing 3,200-meter (two-mile) handicap at Flemington is regarded as the ultimate test of stamina and staying power.

With Aus$8 million ($5.25 million) at stake, the winner of the 24-strong field will bank Aus$4.4 million and instantly become a household name in Australia, where the race is a cultural institution.

Carrying 54.5kg, the Chris Waller-trained Buckaroo finished second at the Caulfield Cup over 2,400 meters this year, on the back of two wins earlier in the season.

Drawn out wide in barrier 21, the six-year-old gelding has again been entrusted to Brazilian Joao Moreira — twice a runner-up — with its odds shortening after red-hot favorite Via Sistina was axed last week.

Also trained by Waller, Via Sistina stormed to victory by eight lengths in the Cox Plate at Moonee Valley last month, propelling the mare through the rankings.

But owner Yulong Investments has opted to rest her.

“Buckaroo is the form horse,” said Waller, who trained 2021 Melbourne Cup winner Verry Elleegant and has four starters in Tuesday’s race.

“He has come through his Caulfield Cup run really well.”

Another highly rated contender, Irish import Jan Brueghel, was scratched after failing a vet inspection, reportedly due to weakness in a lower leg.

The four-year-old had won all four career starts since arriving in Australia a month ago and miffed trainer Aidan O’Brien blasted the decision as “ridiculous.”

With those two out, top-weight Vauban (55.5kg) firmed as joint favorite after drawing barrier 11 and with top English jockey William Buick on the reins.

Foaled in France but Irish trained, Vauban jetted into Australia last year as a hot tip to win but failed to deliver, finishing 14th and struggling in the heat.

Trainer Willie Mullins is nevertheless confident after the seven-year-old’s second place at the Irish St. Leger in September behind superstar stayer Kyprios.

“As we know, you just don’t arrive and pick up the prize,” Mullins told reporters.

“Last year a lot of people had us marked down for that, but I think our horses’ preparations this year have been good.

“Vauban’s form has been very good all season and he brings great depth of form into the race.”

Ace jockey Mark Zahra has ridden the last two Melbourne Cup winners — Without a Fight and Gold Trip— and will again be in the hunt, this time on five-year-old stallion Circle of Fire, currently third favorite.

But he has his work cut out after drawing the widest barrier possible at 24.

“Twenty-four is ordinary... but Mark’s flying so it won’t matter,” said trainer Ciaron Maher.

Kerrin McEvoy is looking for a fourth win, steering Absurde, another from the Mullins stable.

Four women jockeys are in the race, more than ever before.

Jamie Kah will saddle up Okita Soushi alongside Rachel King (The Map), Winona Costin (Positivity) and British star Hollie Doyle (Sea King).

Michelle Payne is the only woman rider to win the Melbourne Cup after she steered Prince of Penzance to victory in 2015.


Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

  • Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”