Saudi and Ukrainian foreign ministers discuss Russia-Ukraine conflict

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan held a phone call on Sunday with his Ukrainian counterpart Andriy Sybiha to discuss relations and the Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (KSAMOFA)
Short Url
Updated 06 October 2024
Follow

Saudi and Ukrainian foreign ministers discuss Russia-Ukraine conflict

  • Discussion came amid escalating hostilities in Ukraine, with Russian forces launching overnight attack involving 87 Shahed drones

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister held a phone call on Sunday with his Ukrainian counterpart Andriy Sybiha to discuss relations and the Russian-Ukrainian conflict, Saudi Press Agency reported.

Prince Faisal bin Farhan and the Ukrainian minister exchanged views on developments in the war and efforts to resolve the crisis, as well as other matters of mutual interest, SPA added.

The discussion came amid escalating hostilities in Ukraine, with Russian forces launching an overnight attack involving 87 Shahed drones and various types of missiles.

The assault followed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky’s announcement of a “victory plan,” which he plans to present at the Oct. 12 Ramstein group meeting, where nations supplying arms to Ukraine will gather.

Zelensky’s plan, which includes Ukraine’s NATO membership and the provision of long-range missiles, was shared with US President Joe Biden last week.

Zelensky praised Ukraine’s troops for their resilience, stating that their capabilities were enhanced with sufficient weaponry. He urged Ukraine’s allies to take more decisive action to accelerate the end of the conflict.

“(The troops) demonstrate what Ukrainians are capable of when they have enough weapons and sufficient range,” he said in a statement on social media.

“We will keep convincing our partners that our drones alone are not enough. More decisive steps are needed — and the end of this war will be closer.”


Winners of 27th King Salman Award for Qur’an Memorization to be crowned this week

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Winners of 27th King Salman Award for Qur’an Memorization to be crowned this week

  • The awards ceremony of the men’s event will take place on Friday at the Ritz-Carlton in Riyadh, the day after the winners of the women’s event are honored
  • Total prize pool for the competitions, organized by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Dawah and Guidance between Feb. 13 and 17, is more than SR7m

RIYADH: The winners of the 27th annual King Salman bin Abdulaziz Award for the Memorization, Recitation and Interpretation of the Holy Qur’an will be honored during special ceremonies this week.

Prince Faisal bin Bandar, the governor of Riyadh Region, will attend the culmination of the men’s event, held under the patronage of King Salman, on Friday at the Ritz-Carlton in Riyadh, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

The awards ceremony for the women’s event, held under the patronage of Princess Fahda Al-Hathleen, spouse of King Salman, will take place at the same venue on Thursday.

The total prize pool for the competitions, which were organized by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Dawah and Guidance and took place between Feb. 13 and 17, is more than SR7 million ($1.87 million). Three winners will be crowned in each of the male and female categories.

Abdullatif Al-Alsheikh, the minister of Islamic affairs, dawah and guidance, who is also the general supervisor of local and international Qur’anic competitions in the Kingdom, said the contest has become one of the most notable competitions of its kind.