Ukrainian drones strike a major military depot in a Russian town northwest of Moscow

Flames rise during an explosion in Toropets, Tver region, Russia in this screen grab obtained from a social media video released on Sept. 18, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 18 September 2024
Follow

Ukrainian drones strike a major military depot in a Russian town northwest of Moscow

  • Ukraine claimed the strike destroyed Russian military warehouses in Toropets about 380 kilometers northwest of Moscow
  • The attack was carried out by Ukraine’s Security Service, along with Ukraine’s Intelligence and Special Operations Forces

KYIV: Ukrainian drones struck a large military depot in a town deep inside Russia overnight, causing a huge blaze and prompting the evacuation of some local residents, a Ukrainian official and Russian news reports said Wednesday.
Meanwhile, a senior US diplomat said that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky recently said he has a plan for winning the war that “can work” and help end the conflict, which is now in its third year. But the Ukrainian leader hasn’t publicly spelled out the plan.
Ukraine claimed the strike destroyed Russian military warehouses in Toropets, a town in Russia’s Tver region about 380 kilometers (240 miles) northwest of Moscow and about 500 kilometers (300 miles) from the border with Ukraine.
The attack was carried out by Ukraine’s Security Service, along with Ukraine’s Intelligence and Special Operations Forces, a Kyiv security official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the operation.
According to the official, the depot housed Iskander and Tochka-U missiles, as well as glide bombs and artillery shells. He said the facility caught fire in the strike and was burning across an area 6 kilometers (4 miles) wide.
Among the destroyed ammunition were North Korean KN-23 short-range ballistic missiles, another official, in Ukraine’s Intelligence Office, told The AP. He was not authorized to comment publicly and didn’t provide evidence to support his claim.
Russia and North Korea signed a landmark pact last June that envisioned mutual military assistance between Moscow and Pyongyang.
More than 100 domestically-produced kamikaze drones were deployed in the attack on the depot, the Ukrainian Intelligence Office official added.
Russian state news agency RIA Novosti quoted regional authorities as saying air defense systems were working to repel a “massive drone attack” on Toropets, which has a population of around 11,000. The agency also reported a fire and the evacuation of some local residents.
There was no immediate information about whether the strikes had caused any casualties.
Successful Ukrainian strikes on targets deep inside Russia have become more common as the war has progressed and Kyiv developed its drone technology.
Zelensky is also seeking approval from Western nations for Ukraine to use the sophisticated weapons they are providing to hit targets inside Russia. Some Western leaders have balked at that possibility, fearing they could be dragged into the conflict.
Ukraine’s targeting of Russian military equipment, ammunition and infrastructure deep inside Russia, as well as making Russian civilians feel some of the consequences of the war that is being fought largely inside Ukraine, is part of Kyiv’s strategy.
The swift push by Ukrainian forces into Russia’s Kursk border region last month fits into that plan, which apparently seeks to compel Russian President Vladimir Putin to back down.
Putin, however, has shown no signs of backing down, and has been trying to grind down Ukraine’s resolve through attritional warfare and also sap the West’s support for Kyiv by drawing out the conflict. That has come at a price, however, as the UK Defense Ministry estimates that the war has likely killed and wounded more than 600,000 Russian troops.
On Tuesday, Putin ordered the country’s military to increase its number of troops by 180,000 to a total of 1.5 million by Dec. 1.
Zelensky last month said his plan for victory includes not only battlefield goals but also diplomatic and economic wins. The plan has been kept under wraps but the US Ambassador to the United Nations, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, said during a news conference Tuesday that Washington officials have seen it.
“We think it lays out a strategy and a plan that can work,” she said, adding that the United States will bring it up with other world leaders at the UN General Assembly in New York next week. She did not comment on what the plan contained.


US envoy urges nations to commit ‘time and treasure’ to Gaza recovery ahead of first Board of Peace meeting

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

US envoy urges nations to commit ‘time and treasure’ to Gaza recovery ahead of first Board of Peace meeting

  • America’s ambassador to the UN, Mike Waltz, describes new body as a ‘board of action’ that will usher in ‘era of security, prosperity and opportunity for the Middle East’
  • Inaugural meeting of US-led board in Washington on Thursday will bring together 27 nations, including Saudi Arabia and several other Arab and Muslim countries

NEW YORK CITY: The US ambassador to the UN, Mike Waltz, on Wednesday called on member states to commit “time and treasure” to Gaza’s recovery, as he urged countries to back the newly created “Board of Peace” which he said would soon announce more than $5 billion in reconstruction pledges.

The US-led board, established in November under UN Security Council Resolution 2803, is due to hold its inaugural meeting in Washington on Thursday, which will bring together 27 nations, including Saudi Arabia and several other Gulf Arab and Muslim-majority countries.

“The Board of Peace is a board of action,” Waltz said, arguing it marked a break from what he described as the failed approaches of the past.

The board will oversee the implementation of US President Donald Trump’s 20-point peace plan, which includes the deployment of an international stabilization force and the introduction of a technocratic National Committee for the Administration of Gaza.

Waltz said thousands of troops have been pledged to the stabilization force, which would ensure security and help establish a “durable, terror-free environment.”

The National Committee will operate under the board’s oversight, he added, to restore basic services and help build a productive economy.

The ceasefire has reduced hostilities and secured the return of all hostages held by Hamas, both living and deceased, Waltz said. Just months ago, he added, Gaza was controlled by Hamas, who were holding 48 hostages in tunnels it had built “instead of rebuilding Gaza.” However, he stressed that reconstruction cannot proceed without security guarantees.

“Before reconstruction can move forward, Hamas must, and will, disarm,” he said. He also called for the destruction of the group’s tunnels, its weapons-production facilities and other militant infrastructure.

“Reconstruction cannot and will not take place in areas where Hamas has not demilitarized,” Waltz said.

He dismissed criticism of the unconventional structure of the Board of Peace, saying that “the old ways were not working” and the alternative was either continuing Hamas control of Gaza or occupation.

“As chair of the Board of Peace, we are confident that we will see an era of security, prosperity and opportunity for the Middle East emerge,” he added.