Spain hosts meeting on Israel-Palestinian two-state solution

Spain's Minister of Foreign Affairs Jose Manuel Albares (C) addresses a press conference with (From L) European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borell, Palestinian PM Mohammed Mustafa, Saudi Arabia's FM Prince Faisal bin Farhan and Jordanian FM Ayman Safadi following a meeting on a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, in Madrid on Sept. 13, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 September 2024
Follow

Spain hosts meeting on Israel-Palestinian two-state solution

  • Spanish PM Sanchez one of the staunchest critics in Europe of Israel’s Gaza offensive since start of conflict
  • Palestinian PM and foreign ministers of Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye in attendance

MADRID: Ministers from Muslim and European countries along with the European Union’s foreign affairs chief gathered Friday in Madrid to discuss how to advance a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
“Together, we want to identify the concrete actions that will enable us to make progress toward this objective,” Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez wrote on social network X.
“The international community must take a decisive step toward a just and lasting peace in the Middle East,” the Socialist premier added.
Sanchez welcomed participants at his official residence before the start of the meeting at the foreign ministry in central Madrid, hosted by his top diplomat Jose Manuel Albares.
In attendance were Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Mustafa and the foreign ministers of Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye — all members of the Arab-Islamic Contact Group for Gaza — as well as the heads of the Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation.
The European Union was represented by its foreign affairs chief Josep Borrell as well as the foreign ministers of Ireland, Norway and Slovenia in addition to Spain.
“The implementation of the two-state solution is the only way to ensure a just and lasting peace in the region through the peaceful and secure coexistence of the state of Palestine and the state of Israel,” Albares told a news conference.
Asked about Israel’s absence from the meeting, he said the country had not been invited because it belonged “neither to the group of Europeans nor to the Arab-Islamic contact group” but stressed he would be “delighted” if Israel took part in discussions on the two-state solution.
Calls for the solution have grown since the outbreak of the war in Gaza, which began with Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel.
That attack resulted in the deaths of 1,205 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
The militants also seized 251 hostages, 97 of whom are still in Gaza, including 33 the Israeli military says are dead.
Israel has responded with an offensive that has killed at least 41,118 people in Gaza, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory. The UN rights office says most of the dead are women and children.
Sanchez has been one of the staunchest critics in Europe of Israel’s Gaza offensive since the start of the conflict.
Under his watch, Spain on May 28 along with Ireland and Norway formally recognized a Palestinian state comprising the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.
Earlier this month he announced that the first “bilateral summit between Spain and Palestine” would be held before the end of the year. He said he expected “several collaboration agreements between the two states” to be signed.


Russia military police building collapses near Saint Petersburg, causes unclear: governor

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Russia military police building collapses near Saint Petersburg, causes unclear: governor

  • Sertolovo is a small village just outside Saint Petersburg
  • Local media outlet 47news reported that three people died in the incident, citing emergency services

MOSCOW: A Russian military police building collapsed on the grounds of an army base outside Saint Petersburg, the local governor said Tuesday, adding that authorities were probing the causes of the incident.
“I have instructed the security forces to assist the military in clearing the rubble and rescuing victims following the collapse of a military police building on the territory of a military unit in Sertolovo,” governor Alexander Drozdenko said.
“The causes of the incident are being investigated,” he added.
Sertolovo is a small village just outside Saint Petersburg, Russia’s second-biggest city.
Local media outlet 47news reported that three people died in the incident, citing emergency services.
It reported that the collapse was caused by an “explosion.”
The outlet also published an unverified photo purporting to show the building, a grey three-story block with damage visible on at least two floors.
Russia has been regularly hit with sabotage attacks on military bases and civilian infrastructure since the start of its Ukraine offensive nearly four years ago.
Gas leaks are a frequent cause for explosions in Soviet-era buildings in Russia, although authorities gave no immediate indication this was the cause.