Deputy PM Dar seeks increased investment, trade in talks with British-Pakistani lawmakers

Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar (right) speaks to a group of British-Pakistani members of parliament during a dinner at the Pakistan House in London on September 8, 2024. (@PakistaninUK/X)
Short Url
Updated 09 September 2024
Follow

Deputy PM Dar seeks increased investment, trade in talks with British-Pakistani lawmakers

  • Ishaq Dar briefs these lawmakers on government’s roadmap for the country’s economic revival
  • He says young British-Pakistanis should stay connected with their roots by visiting the country

ISLAMABAD: Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar discussed the prospects of increasing investment from the United Kingdom, along with expanding bilateral trade volume, during a detailed interaction with a group of British-Pakistani members of parliament in London, according to an official statement released on Sunday.

Dar embarked on his first five-day official visit to Britain last week following the change of government in the UK, where the Labour Party won the general elections in July and returned to power after 14 years.

He addressed a wide range of issues with senior administration officials in London, including the resumption of Pakistan International Airlines flights to the UK, which he emphasized as a “major priority” for the government.

The last elections in the UK also saw 15 members of Pakistani heritage elected to parliament, many of whom met the deputy prime minister at a dinner hosted by Pakistan’s High Commissioner, Dr. Muhammad Faisal, at the diplomatic facility.

“The Deputy Prime Minister congratulated the newly elected British-Pakistani Members of Parliament,” said the statement released by his office, adding their success in the elections reflected the strength of British democracy and success of its citizens of Pakistani origin.

“The Deputy Prime Minister asked the Members of Parliament for suggestions on how the government could draw more British foreign direct investment in Pakistan and increase the bilateral trade volume,” it added.

He briefed the British-Pakistani lawmakers on his government’s roadmap for the economic revival of the country, acknowledging that security issues over the past several years had caused significant challenges for Pakistan.

However, he emphasized that the government was committed to steering Pakistan back toward economic growth and development. Dar explained the Pakistani administration had to implement politically unpopular measures, noting that they were gradually starting to yield positive results.

He mentioned that inflation had been reduced to single digits and the current account deficit had been brought under control, along with stabilizing the currency.

Dar also highlighted the widespread institutional support for economic reforms and noted that the Special Investment Facilitation Council, established by the government last year, was attracting foreign investors to Pakistan’s energy, mining, information technology and agriculture sectors.

The deputy prime minister further stressed the importance of young British-Pakistanis staying connected with their roots and noted that the Pakistani government had introduced a new visa-free policy to encourage Pakistani expatriates to visit the country.


Pakistan destroyed seven TTP camps in Afghanistan strikes, 80 militants killed — official

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan destroyed seven TTP camps in Afghanistan strikes, 80 militants killed — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.