Putin to travel to Mongolia despite an ICC warrant for his arrest

Vladimir Putin meets with Governor of the Astrakhan region Igor Babushkin in Moscow, on August 27, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 August 2024
Follow

Putin to travel to Mongolia despite an ICC warrant for his arrest

  • Kremlin said Putin will travel to neighboring Mongolia on Sept. 3 to mark the ‘85th anniversary of the joint victory of Soviet and Mongolian forces over Japan on the Khalkhin Gol River’
  • Putin has reduced his foreign travel since launching a full-scale offensive against Ukraine in Feb. 2022 and limited it even more since the ICC issued the arrest warrant

MOSCOW: Russian President Vladimir Putin will next week visit Mongolia, a member of the International Criminal Court (ICC) that has issued an arrest warrant for the Russian leader, the Kremlin said Thursday.
It will be the first time Putin has traveled to a country that has ratified the founding treaty of the ICC, the Rome Statute, since the Hague-based court issued the warrant for him in March 2023 over the illegal deportation of Ukrainian children.
ICC members are expected to make the arrest if the Russian leader sets foot on their territory.
Mongolia signed the Rome Statute treaty in 2000 and ratified it in 2002.
The Kremlin said Putin will travel to neighboring Mongolia on September 3 to mark the “85th anniversary of the joint victory of Soviet and Mongolian forces over Japanese militarists on the Khalkhin Gol River.”
The battle took place in 1939 during the Japanese occupation of nearby Manchuria.
The Kremlin said Putin and Mongolian President Ukhnaa Khurelsukh will discuss bilateral relations and “exchange views on current international and regional issues.”
The visit will fall a month after US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken visited Mongolia as Washington seeks closer ties with the landlocked country.
The Kremlin has called the ICC warrant “absurd.”
Putin has reduced his foreign travel since launching a full-scale offensive against Ukraine in February 2022 and limited it even more since the ICC issued the arrest warrant.


US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

An aerial view of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, Aug. 10, 2022, in Palm Beach, Florida. (File/AP)
Updated 57 min 23 sec ago
Follow

US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

  • Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT)

MIAMI: The US Secret Service said Sunday its agents had shot and killed an armed man who illegally entered the premises of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.
Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT).
“An armed man was shot & killed by US Secret Service agents & @PBCountySheriff after unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.
The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the agency said in a statement.
Agents confronted the man and fired shots. No US officers were injured.
Trump has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the US election, was sentenced to life in prison.
Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.
That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.